Iran May Assist With Reconstruction in Iraq

minibush1

Sep 14, 2003
Iran May Assist With Reconstruction in Iraq
By Robin Wright, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON ? Despite a quarter-century of tension with Iran, the United States has reached out to the Islamic Republic for help in the postwar reconstruction of Iraq ? and is getting it, according to U.S. and Iranian officials.

Iran will participate in an international donors conference this month in Madrid, and may end up as one of the few aid contributors. It is already offering to provide water, electricity and technical assistance to Iraq, a top Iranian diplomat said Friday. He said his government was prepared to pledge additional aid, although probably not cash.

Iran's possible role in Iraq comes as Washington and Tehran try to resume the behind-the-scenes discussions they aborted in May, senior U.S. officials said.

"We've seen some signs and heard from others that the Iranians want to talk," a senior State Department official said Friday. "We're sending some signals back."

Although the countries differ on many issues, the key steps toward resuming talks are working together on Iraq and Iranian cooperation with the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency on inspections, amid U.S. charges that Tehran is secretly developing a weapon off its new energy program.
Read the rest of this article here

Next we will be courting Kim Dong Jong. Maybe he can help us with some troops. :)

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
This is good news. I would love to see Iran helping with the reconstruction. The more help, the better. Although I am weary about their nuclear situation at the moment, I do believe it is time for the US and Iran to cooperate more and develop their formal ties that were severed after the hostage crisis. What I mean here is far from supporting the Mullahs in power, just establishing better communication and cooperation in the Iraq issue and maybe a few others. Who knows, if Iran helps with the reconstruction, maybe their relations with the Iraqi government, when formed, would be strong enough to prevent another war between the countries.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Ah, so they are building that Nuke "power plant" to send Electricity to Iraq? Well....they should have just said so in the first place :p:D

CkG

LOL! Anyway, a good sign.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Ah, so they are building that Nuke "power plant" to send Electricity to Iraq? Well....they should have just said so in the first place :p:D

CkG

Muwhahaaaa......you got love this administration. They are so desperate for help with this turd known as Iraq. Hell maybe North Korea will get a pass as well if they send over a few soldiers.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I doubt North Korea would send troops . . . they would discover just how much the DPRK regime sux.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I bet all the Sunnis in Iraq (the ones who were just removed from power) feel grrrrEEAT! about this development...

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Drift3r

CkG

Muwhahaaaa......you got love this administration. They are so desperate for help with this turd known as Iraq. Hell maybe North Korea will get a pass as well if they send over a few soldiers.

Yea we asked because we cant do the job by ourselves? Pfft, we can handle it just makes it easier with more help, unless you want to pay more taxes :D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

CkG

hehe...caddy made a funny:D