Iran hands IAEA nuclear blueprints

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Oh no NOT PLANS! What, were they written on toilet paper?

I can go download plans for a thermonuclear weapon right now off of the internet. It is not hard, at all.

Keep fishing for reasons, bush&co.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Fern
Iran maintains it was given the papers without asking for them during its black market purchases of nuclear equipment decades ago that now serve as the backbone of its program to enrich uranium

I find that extremely hard to believe. That seems like something you'd have to pay big bucks for. Not just some "freebie" that comes along with "some equipment".

And who sold them the black market stuff?

Black market stuff of that nature generally requires some serious effort to find. Who in Iran headed up that search effort and what was their purpose?

Hmm... Soiunds ominous to me, and under cuts any claims that they want nukes only for electricity. That there's no weapon efforts etc.

Fern

you think pakistan got their technology from the black market?

what i don't understand is how pakistan is a much bigger threat to the united states than iran is (especially now), yet whenever they got their nuke, they never used it or threatened to seriously use it (save the whole india thing that lasted like 3 days)... yet we're harping on iran? we turn a blind eye to pakistan, yet pull our guns out against iran? why? it doesn't make sense... unless the government is trying to control the oil in the middle east under the guise of spreading democracy like the communists tried spreading communism so many years ago.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
eits: India & Pakistan have been in a near continual war, sometimes hot, sometimes cold, ever since both countries got their independence in the late 40's. One of the best things that can be said about Mussarf is that he has cooled down that war quite a bit.

Pakistan was a well-known nuclear proliferator, and could still be for all we know. Geopolitics being what they are though, today our leaders treat Pakistan like our loyal buddies-much like Osama was back in the days of USSR in Afganistan.

Pakistan worries me a great deal, and always has. To me, Pakistan is the epicenter of Islamic terrorism-and Saudi Arabia is the bank. Iraq was nothing but a sideshow GWB got us sucked into.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Thump553
eits: India & Pakistan have been in a near continual war, sometimes hot, sometimes cold, ever since both countries got their independence in the late 40's. One of the best things that can be said about Mussarf is that he has cooled down that war quite a bit.

Pakistan was a well-known nuclear proliferator, and could still be for all we know. Geopolitics being what they are though, today our leaders treat Pakistan like our loyal buddies-much like Osama was back in the days of USSR in Afganistan.

Pakistan worries me a great deal, and always has. To me, Pakistan is the epicenter of Islamic terrorism-and Saudi Arabia is the bank. Iraq was nothing but a sideshow GWB got us sucked into.

agreed, except for the near continual war part. there've been tensions and the war line had been toed a couple times since independence, but it doesn't seem to be an ongoing propblem. hopefully, someone who's from pakistan/india and is knowledgeable about this can shed some light on my post... i very well may be wrong of my impression.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Thump553

Pakistan stands before a complete breakdown, trust me, most people don't want Bhutto OR Musharaff and the Islamic fundamentalists are growing in numbers every day.

This is a place where there are KNOWN nuclear weapons and the worst of the VERY worst who are not just willing to sacrifice their own lives but everyone in their nations for their cause are gaining more and more control.

This is a much more acute problem than Iran is, even if Iran was in the last stage of building a nuclear device or even had one all they would do with it is let the world know and thereby not having to worry about invasion.

NK went from the axis of evil to neutral in days when they did their first nuclear test bombing even though doom was predicted if they ever did get it.

All it means is that the US and Israel can't treat them like a bitch, they get a bit of leverage in discussions and nothing more.

Pakistan though, if i've ever seen a country begging for an whole lot of foreign soldiers (mainly strike teams and tactical) to help the army from losing control to the fundamentalists, that is it.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
The whole purpose of AQ network was to spread nuclear tech to Islamic nations.
His network probably gave it to Iran for free.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Aimster

I sincerely doubt that Al Quaida would have anything to do with this.

I don't get you either, in one instance you are saying that the people who make up the Al Quaida would NEVER have anything to do with Iran, but now you claim that they do?

You just make up this shit as you go along, don't you?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

I don't get you either, in one instance you are saying that the people who make up the Al Quaida would NEVER have anything to do with Iran, but now you claim that they do?

Abdul Q something... the head of the Pakistan nuclear program who is now under house arrest.

Jun 26, 2007

Abdul Q something... the head of the Pakistan nuclear program who is now under house arrest.

Actually, that would be Abdul Quadeer Khan or AQK for future reference, he was released from house arrest in '05 by Musharaff, they do state that he's under house arrest again but i doubt it's really true since he has a large following, many many people see him as a hero.

I do agree that he has a lot to do with the nuclear developments by NK, Syria but probably less with Iran, i think most of that came from Syria which is kinda strange all in itself, if you know what i mean.

I got your statement wrong, you should have been more specific but i should have waited to jump to conclusions too.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
There was consensus that he had never fully complied, still maintained the knowledge and production ability, and most likely still maintained WMD.

Heh. Maintained the knowledge and production ability? Please. Any society capable of created basic agricultural chemicals can make chemical weapons- the methodology is ~100 years old, dating from WW1...

Hadn't fully complied? When was that? Obviously not when Blix' team was working in Iraq... He claimed their compliance was entirely satisfactory just weeks before the invasion...

Kool aid is a horrible diet, try reality for a change.

Faced with imminent US action Saddam finally appeared to be complying, but by then his track record was his own undoing. How many HUNDREDS of violations and instances of noncompliance? There are still WMD Saddam declared having that were never found, turned over, with no evidence of their destruction/final disposition. 20,000 liters of Anthrax most notably.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: manowar821

I can go download plans for a thermonuclear weapon right now off of the internet. It is not hard, at all.

This came from the IAEA, not Bush, keep fishing for a conspiracy with your obvious bias.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Alistar7

This came from the IAEA, not Bush, keep fishing for a conspiracy with your obvious bias.

What does the IAEA say about their findings? What conclusions do they come to?

Not that that matters to GWB and his staunch arse kissers like you who STILL believe the BS about WMD's in Iraq.

The war drums are beating and the support for it is being built, answer me this, do you want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud?

At the same time the Talibans are taking over more and more of Afghanistan and Pakistan and troops are leaving Afghainistan without being replaced, you know 20k troops would be a LARGE amount of troops in Afghanistan to help fight those terrorists that planned and executed every terrorist action by Islamists in the western world since before 9/11.

But who cares about such small events when Irans President who hasn't gotten an ounce of practical or political power threatened through a mistranslation to "wipe Israel off the map".

You just swallow, don't you?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

Not that that matters to GWB and his staunch arse kissers like you who STILL believe the BS about WMD's in Iraq.

The war drums are beating and the support for it is being built, answer me this, do you want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud?

At the same time the Talibans are taking over more and more of Afghanistan and Pakistan and troops are leaving Afghainistan without being replaced, you know 20k troops would be a LARGE amount of troops in Afghanistan to help fight those terrorists that planned and executed every terrorist action by Islamists in the western world since before 9/11.

But who cares about such small events when Irans President who hasn't gotten an ounce of practical or political power threatened through a mistranslation to "wipe Israel off the map".

Hardly a fan of our monkey boy pres, or the GOP. You seem to enjoy gobbling up the liberal viewpoint without reflection, just the other side of the coin, both hysterical in my opinion.

The WMD issue is clear when viewed without bias, as are all of the facts. This forum is primarily comprised of partisan sheep neffing spin and revisionist history, that is why it has failed.

Already stated years ago I would not support taking action against Iran, nothing has significantly changed in that time.

I also accurately predicted the (obvious) outcome of the NK situation while the left wingers here were screaming Bush would attack, just as they are now.

Jun 26, 2007

Hardly a fan of our monkey boy pres, or the GOP. You seem to enjoy gobbling up the liberal viewpoint without reflection, just the other side of the coin, both hysterical in my opinion.

The WMD issue is clear when viewed without bias, as are all of the facts. This forum is primarily comprised of partisan sheep neffing spin and revisionist history, that is why it has failed.

Already stated years ago I would not support taking action against Iran, nothing has significantly changed in that time.

I also accurately predicted the (obvious) outcome of the NK situation while the left wingers here were screaming Bush would attack, just as they are now.

Let me get this straight, you don't like him but you agree with everything he says?

The WMD issue was a known lie, the FBI already made that clear, remember? Or do you just have blind trust in your government, huh, rebel yell.

You see, the UN and pretty much every country saw the BS long before and were against their governments because they were lying to them, all of those governments besides Bush is gone now, some of them can't show themselves on the streets either, the only nation gullible enough to believe the BS was the US. That says something for people want to support what they believe in, and i respect that, but politicians lying isn't what you should believe in, critical thinking had the UK 70-30 at the day Blair decided to join in, and that motherfucker did help gathering what he KNEW was false evidence to sway the US population, he should stand in front of a firing squad and not enjoy his retirement, fucking traitor.

I'm not Liberal at all, in fact you can't use that same scale on me because i'm English.

I've never thought that the US would attack NK, no one ever thought so, we all know that SK would be obliterated if they did, show me ONE post where someone ever thought that since i've not been around here long enough to know, thank you.

But your answer goes all over the place so i'll simplify this for your obvious high as a kite or drunk as a skunk mind.

Do you think that the US is going to attack Iran?

Would that be the right thing to do?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002

Let me get this straight, you don't like him but you agree with everything he says?

The WMD issue was a known lie, the FBI already made that clear, remember? Or do you just have blind trust in your government, huh, rebel yell.

You see, the UN and pretty much every country saw the BS long before and were against their governments because they were lying to them, all of those governments besides Bush is gone now, some of them can't show themselves on the streets either, the only nation gullible enough to believe the BS was the US. That says something for people want to support what they believe in, and i respect that, but politicians lying isn't what you should believe in, critical thinking had the UK 70-30 at the day Blair decided to join in, and that motherfucker did help gathering what he KNEW was false evidence to sway the US population, he should stand in front of a firing squad and not enjoy his retirement, fucking traitor.

I'm not Liberal at all, in fact you can't use that same scale on me because i'm English.

I've never thought that the US would attack NK, no one ever thought so, we all know that SK would be obliterated if they did, show me ONE post where someone ever thought that since i've not been around here long enough to know, thank you.

But your answer goes all over the place so i'll simplify this for your obvious high as a kite or drunk as a skunk mind.

Do you think that the US is going to attack Iran?

Would that be the right thing to do?

Rebel yell? Try to keep your own prejudice and bias out of your posts, you might come across better. I am deeply cynical about govt. in general, and both parties in particular.

You can search the archives as well as I, the NK issue was played out here 3-4 years ago.

20,000 liters of Anthrax, still unnaccounted for according to Blix. Give me one link that shows, pre-war, any leader stating they believed Saddam did not have WMD.

There was enough legitimate evidence of noncompliance. If you feel the gravy train that was the food for oil program had no bearing on certain votes you are entitled to your opinion. Rather naive on your part, but to each his own.

Ultimately, for the majority of Iraqi citizens I feel it was a worthwhile endeavor.

Been saying for 4 years now the US will not invade Iran, nor do I think we will strike their nuclear facilities. Right thing to do IMHO is to press for change from within Iran.