Iran adds new fighter jet to air force

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: SamurAchzar
Originally posted by: Aimster
Originally posted by: everman
This isn't meant to be a deterrent to U.S. forces, but it seems like many of you have miscontrued it as such.
It's not a concern to us but it is to some of their neighbors.

Yep.
F-22 > All.
There is no point anymore for countries that are enemies of the U.S to purchase advanced aircraft from Russia. The F-22 would simply knock them out of the sky.

A fair comparision would be:

Israel's F16s vs Iran's Mig-29s (upgraded to the latest models - Russian tech).

That would probably come down to avionics and weapons, Israel is considered to be a top player in that. I'm quite sure the Mig-29 can show just as good performance as an F16 in a dogfight.

While plane technology DOES matter to some extent, it's tactics that matter by far the most in air combat...and we're a LOT better at that than anyone else in the world. We use AWACS aircraft very effectivly, something I don't think any other country has even made much of an attempt at. The F-22 just makes our advantage even bigger, but it really isn't as much about the individual fighter characteristics as you might think.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
How does Iranian pilot training compare to the US?

Nobody knows. The pilots of the Iranian Air Force were first trained in the U.S.

I assume after that the rest were either trained by the American trained pilots or by Russian pilots inside Russia.

Anyways, I hear Israel pilots would whoop U.S pilots any day of the week.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Rainsford
This isn't meant to be a deterrent to U.S. forces, but it seems like many of you have miscontrued it as such.

Yep.
F-22 > All.
There is no point anymore for countries that are enemies of the U.S to purchase advanced aircraft from Russia. The F-22 would simply knock them out of the sky.

That would probably come down to avionics and weapons, Israel is considered to be a top player in that. I'm quite sure the Mig-29 can show just as good performance as an F16 in a dogfight.

While plane technology DOES matter to some extent, it's tactics that matter by far the most in air combat...and we're a LOT better at that than anyone else in the world. We use AWACS aircraft very effectivly, something I don't think any other country has even made much of an attempt at. The F-22 just makes our advantage even bigger, but it really isn't as much about the individual fighter characteristics as you might think.

In an M16 vs Mig29 fight with pilots trained by the same military the Mig would win.

That being said though, the training is much different, and while Iran has great pilots, Isreal's pilots are better as a whole.

The F22 does actually make a large gap in the advantage we now have, the mevuverability is amazing.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

Yep.
F-22 > All.

For dogfighting, I believe this particular aircraft (the one this thread is about) is an excellent choice.

However, aren't those days over? Doesn't it matter on who has the best tech and can get a lock on the other aircraft first?

So I wonder... who would get the lock on first.. An Israel F-16 or an Iranian Mig-29?
I have no idea, but I hear Russian tech is pretty advanced and obviously U.S tech is advanced as well.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005

Nobody knows. The pilots of the Iranian Air Force were first trained in the U.S.

I assume after that the rest were either trained by the American trained pilots or by Russian pilots inside Russia.

Anyways, I hear Israel pilots would whoop U.S pilots any day of the week.[/q]

Wow, Umm no sorry, you're wrong. We train most of Isreal's pilots (directly or indirectly), and some of them are trained by independent U.S. contractors.

Second, one could argue about combat experience, but now since we have had Iraq and Afghanistan there really is no contest.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001

Anyways, I hear Israel pilots would whoop U.S pilots any day of the week.

I think you hear a lot of wrong things.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Well maybe the military forums I go to the Israel members are living in la la land, but they bring up a very interesting point..

Flight hours per pilot. What are the leading countries? Is Israel not on the top of the list?