IQ upgrade for Ati new line?

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
no-X at b3d posted this.
Ati Tray Tools - 1.0.3.750

* Added support for Adaptive anti-aliasing mode. Substantially improves visual image quality by enabling supersampling anti-aliasing on transparent textures, and multi-sampling anti-aliasing on all other textures. This delivers exceptional levels of image quality, while maintaining very high levels of performance. (Only Catalyst 5.9 and up and only if supported by hardware)

Can't find any confirmation. So is this much like the supersampling that 7800gtx does?

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Is interesting, as I thought adaptive aa was not too likely for this gen. Looks like Ati will really be pushing the image quality thing (wonder if this means the speed is not there). Or would the 512mb memory help here?

JustWhitman

Apr 17, 2002
Humus released an alpha override tool. It look greats, works on all ATi hardware AFAIK and performance seems on par with standard 4x AA in my testing. Only drawback is that games that use Punkbuster or VAC will kick you (You wont be permabanned though, just kicked).

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33821061

I don't see why ATi can't incorporate it into their driver somehow. But then again Catalyst Maker always seemed more interested in incoroprating worthless crap like smart-shaders that noone uses, rather than implement something worthwhile like Transparency AA.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Does Humus still work for Ati? I remember he had the doom patch that was later incorporated into the drivers - so maybe this will also, when all the bugs are out.

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Adaptive AA just seems like Trasparent AA from Nvidia.

But, Nvidia allows you to also use multi-sampling for transparent textures as well for better performance.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Well here is the b3d link telling how to enable it on 9700pro onwards. Seems to work well in some games.