IPv6 are you ready?

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Once again Seattle leads the pack in internet technology. Check out this article from the Seattle Times about a new company called Zama Networks which was founded by the founders of F5. Cool stuff!!!

Zama article

Zama's homepage

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Not yet, but I'm hopin' to be at least CCNP & maybe CCIE certified by the time it hits.

There will likely be some SERIOUS money to be made.

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Not yet, but I'm planning on it. I do LAN tech support, so I figure that'll be a help. I have a CCNA book that I'm going to start going through tomorrow (I have a 12 hour shift, & I'll be lucky if I take 2 calls all day).

Viper GTS

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
right on, on the job is the best way to learn. I am kinds lucky I have a Cisco academy near where I live.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If I had the money I'd enroll in a local college that has a CCNA course. It's only $5,000, but it might as well be $500,000. I simply don't have the money. Hell, I volunteered to work 12 days straight just to get 24 hours of OT. I need the money.

Viper GTS

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
WOW, the one near me is only $3,000 for the whole thing, so $1,000 a quater. Also, my shool offers CCNP training as well.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I have hear that it will be so fast that you will be able to transmit holographic images like in Star Wars. Another rumor is that one of the founders is actually working on a device to do that.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
WTF? Since when does speed have anything to do with IPv6? I thought it was strictly to increase the number of available IP addresses...

:confused:

Viper GTS

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000

<< The Zama network will use advanced internetworking technologies including Internet Protocol version six (IPv6), QoS routing, dynamic class of service (CoS) routing, redundancy, and LAN/WAN scalability. These technologies will allow customers to develop and deploy new applications and services, including those that rely heavily upon video, audio and interactivity, and therefore require end-to-end quality of service. Zama will enable these next-generation Internet applications and services and will become the multimedia network of choice for the future. >>

Check out their site. An increase in address would be a giant step but that is just to get it out on the market. There are a lot of other uses for this. As far as speed check out the section on Multicast and Anycast.