Ipod, Nomad Zen Xtra, or Rio Karma

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I own a 2G Ipod 10 gigger but if I were in your position I'd get a new mini Ipod. Smaller = way better in a portable MP3 player. Hard drive size is great for a computer but a far second (to size) in portable MP3 players.

3point14

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: kitkit201
Originally posted by: 3point14
skiguy411 brings up two real good points...
1. Take a look at the software that is available for each player. The iPod makes it easier to use as a portable HD. Be sure to check out the forums like iPod lounge and Riovolution.
2. Take a look at the iRiver. Quite expensive, but well worth it.

excellent websites!! I am sold!! Karma it is!!

be sure to do your research (I did quite a bit). Borrow a friends and play around with it. The karma is my personal choice, iPod seems to be quite a few others choice. good luck!

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: kitkit201
skiguy411 brings up two real good points...
1. Take a look at the software that is available for each player. The iPod makes it easier to use as a portable HD. Be sure to check out the forums like iPod lounge and Riovolution.
2. Take a look at the iRiver. Quite expensive, but well worth it.

excellent websites!! I am sold!! Karma it is!!

be sure to do your research (I did quite a bit). Borrow a friends and play around with it. The karma is my personal choice, iPod seems to be quite a few others choice. good luck!

Actually I did play with the karma in person at my electronics store and it was amazing to mee, i was just confused as to buy into the hype of iPods (see those damn commercials way too much and those billboards around the city annoy me)

Size isn't a big difference, so long as i can fit it in acoat pocket, that's what im aiming for :)

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Sid59
Personally, I would choose the Karma. I have used them all and here is my extremely humble opinion...

sound quality: Karma > Ipod > Zen
features: Karma > Ipod > Zen
ergonomics: Ipod > Zen > Karma
portability: Ipod >> Zen ~ Karma (coat pocket)
style: Ipod > Karma > Zen

ipod wins 3 / 5
zen loses 3 / 5

all depends on the media you have. i have a 40 gig ipod. if i were to rebuy one, it would prolly be the karma.

Sound quality and features are real important to me. Style and ergonomic rank real low. Portability doesn't matter much because I will be mostlt listening to it on a plane. I like the Karma because of the ogg and flac support, not to mention the great sound quality (IMHO).

eh, i think FLAC support is on deaf ears. chances are: 1. the decoder isnt that good and 2. headphones aren't that good. why need it?

if you have transparency on a 192 kbps mp3 or similar ogg, what's the point in use flac on a portable?

OptimusRhyme

Jan 26, 2002
I've spent a fair bit of time reading up on some of these MP3 players, and i'd have to say i think the Zen Xtra is probably the best of the bunch. If you're just looking to play music, the creative has the best sound quality out of all of them. Now, that is only if you get yourself a good set of headphones. Every single review you look for will say that the Zen has amazing sound quality, and can't be beat. When it comes to features, and ease of use, the Ipod usually wins over the competition. Plus, it's the nicest looking one out there. If you're going for overall sound quality, which i think should be something on the top of your list, go for the Zen.

When it comes down to it, do your research on them. Read up every single review you can of the product you're interested in, and then make your purchase. By now you've probably already made your choice in what you bought, but to anyone else who thinks of buying a HD MP3 player, do some research first, or you could be like a few of the guys here and bought every single one and wasted money.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If iTunes is your desktop player of choice, your decision should be simple given the extreme level of integration between iTunes and the iPod.

/me loves iTunes.

OptimusRhyme

Jan 26, 2002
229 bucks for a 4GB player? Seriously, thats like throwing money away. I can get a 30 gig Zen Xtra for like 350 Canadian. Sure the ipod mini is awesome, but still, rip off for the size of it.

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
I'm really considering the Karma right now. It seems small enough to use at the gym, but has a lot of storage space.

I really like the Nitrus too, but it's pretty pricey for what you get - the size is perfect though. Any last minute tips?

I think i might try it out from Circuit City.... if i don't like it, then i'll just return it.