iPOD Docking Station Recommendation

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I currently have a Sirius unit that docks into a dedicated Sirius boom box. The Sirius unit recently died, and the Sirius dedicated boombox didn't have very good audio quality anyway, so I am looking to upgrade to a stereo unit that has:

- An ipod docking station compatible with ipod and iphone
- An integrated CD player
- An additional audio or aux input through which I can feed my Sirius unit. Most Sirius units come with a home docking station that you can input into an existing stereo system instead of using a dedicated Sirius boombox.

I am not finding many docking stations that meet these criteria. Most iPod docking stations consist of only speakers...which from a visual standpoint is more appealing, but doesn't cover the other capabilities I am looking for.

So far I have only found one unit that meets these specifications:

Sony Boombox for iPod

Any other recommendations or units...Google searches are proving rather inefficient.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
You won't find much, I'm afraid. The iPod has largely replaced CD players.

Your best bet, I would think, is to get an older CD player boombox with a line input, and use it for both Sirius and the ipod.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So option B is to get a CD player based boombox or mini stereo with two aux audio imports that can accomodate an iPod docking station and Sirius docking station.

I know mp3s have replaced CDs, but I have over 500 CDs, and I dont have time to convert them all to mp3 :(

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
So option B is to get a CD player based boombox or mini stereo with two aux audio imports that can accomodate an iPod docking station and Sirius docking station.

Multiple aux inputs are pretty rare. You'll either need to buy a switchbox (cheap but bulky), or swap the plugs. Or carry around a proper stereo.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
OK so maybe boombox is the wrong term.

I am really looking for a shelf stereo system that can accomdate inputs from an iPod and a Sirius unit, that also has a CD player.

The unit should be suitable for say a bedroom or office, so not a high end component stereo system.

Added bonus if the unit has an integrated iPod docking station.

Something like this, but maybe one level up in terms of stereo quality:

Sony Micro Stereo

or this

Sony Hi Fi System

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Logitech PureFi 2, get a cheapo portable cd player with radio and use the logitechs aux in. Thats what I do for work. Sounds decent and works with all ipods. Extra benefit is the built in rechargable battery for portability.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
This will be a dedicated shelf system home audio solution, but in a room we don't want to set up a full component set.

I am starting to find options in the mini stereo category.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
This will be a dedicated shelf system home audio solution, but in a room we don't want to set up a full component set.

I am starting to find options in the mini stereo category.

You should have said so!

If you don't need portability, you may as well just get some powered studio monitors, a small CD player, and an input selector switchbox.

Example monitors:
http://www.m-audio.com/product...s/StudiophileBX5a.html
Example switchbox:
http://www.radioshack.com/prod....jsp?productId=2049645

The powered monitors have their own volume control knob. All you'd need to do is plug your CD player, satellite radio, and iPod into the assorted input jacks, and you're set. An RCA to TRS adapter may be needed, but these are very cheap and sold at Guitar Center (where you can also get a wide variety of studio monitors). I quite like the BX5As, but if you want to save a few bucks, you should take a look at the Samson MediaOnes and Alesis M1 Active 520s - I've heard neither, but both are from highly recommended manufacturers and both cost only about $200 for the pair.

There is only one small problem with this - to get this sort of quality, you pay through the nose. Good powered monitors really don't exist below $200 or so. However, you can get some pretty good used gear for much less.

If you must have something very tiny, very convenient, and very cheap, Samson makes the StudioDock 3i($120) and 4i($160.) Both of these have built-in iPod docks; however, both have itsy-bitsy 3" or 4" (respectively) woofers that won't make much bass. I'd wager they're still better than a similarly priced Sony minisystem, though.

shawred

Dec 16, 2008
Unless you specifically have to have separate components, I HIGHLY recommend the Cambridge Soundworks 740i. Superb sound with all of your requirements. I have yet to see a negative review.