Iphone to be released on June 29th

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Link

I'm going to go on record and say that this product will fail to move significant quantities as Apple hopes. The only people who will buy this are the die hard apple fanboys. I don't see it having a significant impact on cell phone sale numbers.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: venkman
Link

I'm going to go on record and say that this product will fail to move significant quantities as Apple hopes. The only people who will buy this are the die hard apple fanboys. I don't see it having a significant impact on cell phone sale numbers.

And I'm going on record predicting the iPhone moves millions of units this year. And that many non-Apple fanboys will be purchasing it.

I despise AT&...er, Cingular, but this one is going to be big for them.

ahfunaki

Nov 27, 2005
I agree with Pabster and say that it will sell very well...

And if it doesn't that's fine because it'll be easier for me to get one...haha

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'M going on record stating that the first generation iPhone is going to be crap!

We already know that it's overpriced and locked into a bad cellular network. That's a given. My hunch is that it's going to flaky as well, and will need a bunch of firmware updates before it works right. The battery life will also be awful, and there will be very few third-party apps available for it for awhile.

By the third generation, these things are going to be half the price and contain twice as much storage. Buy one THEN if you really want one.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
I'M going on record stating that the first generation iPhone is going to be crap!

We already know that it's overpriced and locked into a bad cellular network. That's a given. My hunch is that it's going to flaky as well, and will need a bunch of firmware updates before it works right. The battery life will also be awful, and there will be very few third-party apps available for it for awhile.

By the third generation, these things are going to be half the price and contain twice as much storage. Buy one THEN if you really want one.

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. Kaido's #2 Rule of Technology: Never buy first-generation products. They are always rushed to market and therefore always have bugs. I would love to get an iPhone eventually, but after they work the kinks out (and hopefully after Cingular cleans up their call quality). Still no GPS, no 3G, etc. I'll wait a cycle or two before hopping onboard. But it sure does look cool!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Based on the ads now coming out for the phone and depending on price, this thing could very well cruch a lot of the competition. For coolness and features, I looks to be a very hot item.

The only thing I really see as a limiting factor, assuming the product works and functions as described, is the limited exposure by just going to one company for service. Phone numbers may be protable, but if ya like the service provider ya have; just for a certain handset that will probably eventually be available for your carrier would you really want to switch.

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
I think sooner or later it will be opened to all GSM network since worldwide sale are a really large piece of pie. Cellphone is immensely more integrated in life outside of US and Apple definitely will be going after that.

I think there is no incentive to develop other wireless tech other than GSM since the leverage is much lower in the worldwide market.

nboy22

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2002
I'm working at the Cingular/AT&T Warranty Service Center. This should be fun for the high end device team once we add the iPhone to the list. Just keep in mind the damn thing costs an arm and a leg, I believe it will be popular but it's not a phone that's like 100 bucks or less with a 2 year agreement.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
as cool as it is i hate it because i will never have one. not because i cant afford it, but those phones are going to be known world-wide as the "ritzy-sheit" and that aint me. hell im pissed my blackberry pearl is showing up in movies and tv shows...

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
The Reasons I think it will fail

1)Tied to Cingular. How many people have contracts ending soon or willing to pay early termination fees just to get the iphone? How many people are willing to give up a good provider like Verizon for a notoriously crappy one like Cingular?

2)Expensive as heck with a contract. At $300 it would sell like hotcakes but at $600 it is above that mental barrier price point where people go, "Hey! Wait a minute, this is still just a phone."

3)What about the iphone will make business people give up their Blackberrys and Treos?

4)What about the iphone will make consumers skip the $100 Razr?

5)The phone is packed with high end, expesive features that no one but the hardcore cares about. Much like the Playstation 3 and it's Blu Ray drive.

6)It will sell to apple fanboys and phone enthusiasts but will bomb with Joe Six Pack.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
I say Apple can play it off. It will be a hot item in the first 6 months. Then Apple will do something cool. At the end they can contract more Carriers.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The Reasons I think it will fail

1)Tied to Cingular. How many people have contracts ending soon or willing to pay early termination fees just to get the iphone? How many people are willing to give up a good provider like Verizon for a notoriously crappy one like Cingular?

2)Expensive as heck with a contract. At $300 it would sell like hotcakes but at $600 it is above that mental barrier price point where people go, "Hey! Wait a minute, this is still just a phone."

3)What about the iphone will make business people give up their Blackberrys and Treos?

4)What about the iphone will make consumers skip the $100 Razr?

5)The phone is packed with high end, expesive features that no one but the hardcore cares about. Much like the Playstation 3 and it's Blu Ray drive.

6)It will sell to apple fanboys and phone enthusiasts but will bomb with Joe Six Pack.

I bet you anything that if they sold the base model at $299 and put Exchange server functionality on it so that you could easily sync with your PC, people would be all over it. I don't know if it syncs with Outlook's Email/Calendar/Contacts or not, but if it's only for Mac syncing then that will definitely limit the market.

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
I've thought since it was announced the iPhone will not be close to as successful as everyone seems to expect. The biggest reason is that while it offers everything together who really needs all that? People who want media already have an iPod (or similar), people who want a smartphone probably already have one, sure the iPhone brings is all together but if you already have everything you need from two devices why spending $600 on a device to do both (and in the case of media probably not do as well). The iPhone is a pretty cool little gadget but really the only advantage it has going for it is the apple logo and associated coolness.

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007
is the iphone really tied to cingular? i thought it was general practice they leave cell phones to be unlockable to use on any carrier that supports its technology. i know they and cingular wont readily admit that, but surely you will be able to get unlocked iphones off ebay to use with at&t and tmobile at least.... no?

zig3695

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2007

this is actually true. as a 'joe' myself, i dont want one. i would love to have one, if it were free or stolen, but im not buying one. imagine your local drunken hillbilly sitting at the bar flinggin away at his 'iphone'. yeah...