Iphone price cut - $200 less

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: pontifex
Text

All i have to say is:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Why are you laughing? Apple is reducing their price to get these babies out of stock because they're releasing the next revision of the iPhone in October.

isn't it obvious? i'm laughing at the people who HAD to have the iphone 2 months ago and paid $600 for it. now its $200 cheaper.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Text

All i have to say is:

Why are you laughing? Apple is reducing their price to get these babies out of stock because they're releasing the next revision of the iPhone in October.

isn't it obvious? i'm laughing at the people who HAD to have the iphone 2 months ago and paid $600 for it. now its $200 cheaper.

When you were in grade school, did you beat people up to steal their lunch money?

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Text

All i have to say is:

repost

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Text

All i have to say is:

When you were in grade school, did you beat people up to steal their lunch money?

no, did you?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Text

All i have to say is:

repost

repost

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
Cool! iPhone is $200 cheaper now, take $250 more off and I'll start seriously consider getting one.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: SaoFeng
i feel bad for peeps who bought it....$200 wasted!

It would only be wasted if the phone were still sealed in the retail box.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Early Adopters Pissed

Apple iPhone owners, to put it mildly, are ticked off.

The unveiling of Apple's completely revamped iPod line Wednesday in San Francisco was overshadowed by a detail head honcho Steve Jobs tossed off almost as an aside: Less than 10 weeks after the much-ballyhooed combination cell phone/media player/Web surfer went on sale, its price was cut by $200.

That means early adopters who rushed to get the devices despite the high prices paid a premium of at least $20 for every extra week they could say they had the summer's hot new gadget.

"I feel like I just got punched in the face," said one commenter on the MacRumors blog. "Fanboy tax indeed."

The 8-gigabyte iPhone, once $599, was cut to $399. The 4-gigabyte model, formerly $499, was discontinued, and will sell for $299 until stocks are gone.

"People who bought the iPhone weeks or months ago must really be annoyed," said Tim Beyers, an analyst at The Motley Fool research and investment group. "They might think twice about being the first to buy future Apple products. This smacks a little of desperation, and it's very unlike Apple."

Wall Street seemed to feel the same way. Apple stock dropped more than 5 percent after the price cut was announced, closing at $136.76, down $7.40. In extended trading, the share price fell another $1.01.

Jobs said Wednesday that Apple was on pace to sell 1 million iPhones in the United States by the end of September. The drastic price cut made that number even more attainable.

Analysts said quick discounts are typical for the cell-phone industry, if not the computer industry. The world's best-selling cell phone, the Motorola Razr, for instance, debuted at $499 but now can be had for less than $100.

"This is about Apple learning how to become a cell-phone retailer," said Jeff Kagan, an independent telecommunications industry analyst based in Atlanta. "All of a sudden it's in the cell-phone business, and everyone is trying to figure out how to measure it, and we don't know yet."

That didn't do much to alleviate the chagrin of iPhone buyers, however.

"I realize this is not their problem: I agreed to the original price ? it's my fault," said 32-year-old Ryan Roth of New York, who plunked down $599 for his first iPhone ? his first cell phone ever ? mere hours before Jobs' speech Thursday. "It just kinda sucks."

Roth, however, is one of the lucky ones, having bought his iPhone within the past two weeks.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris said anyone who purchased an iPhone within the past 14 days and has the receipt can get a full refund under Apple's return policy if they haven't opened the product. If they have opened it, they still can get a refund of the price difference.

Outside that window, though, tough luck.

"I am on DAY 15!!!" lamented a commenter on the Engadget tech blog. "I might shoot myself in the face ... it was nice knowing you all."

Also sinking in was the realization that many of the most impressive features of the iPhone ? the finger-activated touchscreen, the full-fledged Web browser, automatic screen-orientation and brightness adjustment ? were now also available on the iPod Touch.

"The iPhone isn't Apple's golden child, the iPod is. Even Steve said that the iPhone is the third priority after the iPod," said another Engadget poster. "The iPod touch is THE touch screen device. The multi touch thing was initially destined for the iPod but Apple are very smart."

Of course, on the Internet, there was no shortage of schadenfreude to go around.

"Suck it up ? you wanted to be the coolest kid on the block and you were for a few weeks," gloated one poster to the Gizmodo tech blog. "Isn't that worth at least $200?"

Another saw the practical aspects of the price cut.

"Maybe I'll get an iPhone and an iPod Classic," said the wise guy, "for about the same price people paid for the iPhone two days ago."

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
Jobs tells early adopters "Tough Luck"

It may seem arrogant and pompous but he's right.

Q: Many people already have Beatles music on CDs. Will they really buy it online if they already own it?

A: I do expect them to, yes. That's been the case with other music, as well.

I own every Bob Dylan album ever, but I buy a lot of it on iTunes, because I guess I'm just too lazy to rip it from the CD.

kinda funny. he's probably a millionaire, if not a billionaire, right? to him it's probably just pocket change.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The early adopters that are pissed are just whiners. Seriously, they have to cut the price at SOME point when sales begin to go flat. That's just the market at work.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
The early adopters that are pissed are just whiners. Seriously, they have to cut the price at SOME point when sales begin to go flat. That's just the market at work.

short of some kind of sale or promotion, it's usually not this quick though, is it?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Early adopters: Welcome to the tech industry. It's like that.

But then, maybe Apple folk aren't used to price cuts - that stuff is just expected to stay really expensive. :)

How about people who paid thousands for a PS3? What do they cost now? Are they being given away free in cereal boxes yet?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Early adopters: Welcome to the tech industry. It's like that.

But then, maybe Apple folk aren't used to price cuts - that stuff is just expected to stay really expensive. :)

How about people who paid thousands for a PS3? What do they cost now? Are they being given away free in cereal boxes yet?

those people are just fucking morons and don't deserve to complain about it.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Shhhh...listen: I think I hear it coming around the corner again - whaaaaaaaaaambulance.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
My phone cost me a whole dollar. Seems to make and receive calls, fit in my pocket, store numbers, and act as an alarm clock. Thusly, I'm still laughing at a $300(?) iPhone.

you forgot that you're also in a 2 year contract. so, your phone cost you $1 plus whatever extra the provider is charging to subsidize phones. you could be paying a couple hundred dollars.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
My phone cost me a whole dollar. Seems to make and receive calls, fit in my pocket, store numbers, and act as an alarm clock. Thusly, I'm still laughing at a $300(?) iPhone.

you forgot that you're also in a 2 year contract. so, your phone cost you $1 plus whatever extra the provider is charging to subsidize phones. you could be paying a couple hundred dollars.

I'm on a zero year contract. I have unlimited minutes and text (Cricket). My phone costs me a whopping FIE-DORRAH. It makes and receives calls, fits in my pocket, stores phone numbers, has an alarm and a bunch of other features that really are pointless, etc.

The data plan with the iPhone is like $60 per month and you only get like 600 minutes (and this is supposed to primarily be a phone?!), you don't have a choice of carriers, and it comes bloated with a bunch of garbage that are really novelty features that nobody's going to use on a regular basis, other than the music functionality.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I'll get an iPhone when it's FREE with a T-mobile $30 prepaid card at Target...(i.e. next March) :D

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
At least they're giving folks who bought the iphone at full price a $100 store credit.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: allisolm
At least they're giving folks who bought the iphone at full price a $100 store credit.

yeah, but steve still gets a share of that money. still, a nice gesture that will please the whiners.