iPhone application development question

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by TheNiceGuy, Nov 8, 2012.

1. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

Hello all
    I had an idea for a utility app when I bought my iphone 3gs years ago, and assumed something like it would be released soon as it seemed like a natural progression of the technology. I just recently checked, and was surprised that several apps have been released that utilize the technology for other purposes, but none do the task required. I personally know several thousand people who would pay about $10 for an app that will do exactly what is required.
    So my question: How would I go about sourcing people to produce this app? I can front the money, but I'm concerned about the idea or tech being stolen along development, as well as producing it reasonably as I am not a millionaire.
    Are there any copyrights in place for apps, or can anyone copy my idea once released?
    Any ideas where to start?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - iPhone application development Forum Date
    iPhone Application Problems All Things Apple Jan 22, 2010
    Help - Application "Stuck" trying to download on iPhone All Things Apple May 10, 2009
    Shot of a jailbroken iPhone sneaks into a Apple US Patent Application All Things Apple Mar 28, 2009
    Why is there still no turn-by-turn GPS application on the Iphone 3G? All Things Apple Nov 19, 2008
    Is there any simple application you've always wanted to see on OS X *or* the iPhone? All Things Apple Jul 22, 2008

3. dave_the_nerd

If it's an original idea, you can patent it.

A developer working for you under contract would presumably have a noncompete and/or an NDA.

In both cases, you'll probably want a lawyer to help you with the paperwork.

4. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

If the Smart Phone wars taught me anything, it's that you cannot patent an idea. You can patent a method, but not an idea.

5. dave_the_nerd

Quite right, I misspoke.

6. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

Thanks. I'd be looking at a software developer from India/china etc to make development affordable. I need to do more networking to get the ball rolling.

7. slugg

slugg Diamond Member

Check your PM's :)

8. TheNiceGuy

TheNiceGuy Golden Member

Thanks