iPhone 8, headphone jack?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will the iPhone 8 have a headphone jack?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 91.4%

• Total voters

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The DAC probably does nothing notable. If it did, Apple would have claimed it already.
No. But the looks of it it's just a plain Jane inexpensive DAC. Decent but it won't win any awards... which is all they need for something like that.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I don't think Apple invented jack sensing, but I noticed Apple supporting jack-sensing in all of their products before I ever noticed anything else with jack sensing.

The way iDevices handle the in-line remote (not just the answer/end/play/pause clicker and microphone, but volume controls) was way better than any of my previous portable devices. My Sony MPD-AP20U and PSP had an extra connector by the headphone jack for a proprietary in-line remote.

Yup, that was Steve Jobs-era Apple. I also liked how they did gapless playback. My 2013 Microsoft devices don't have gapless playback, while Apple way back in like 2003 implemented it into the iPod. I especially like how gapless playback carried over into the iPhone, while Microsoft tends to break features between new products and updates.

And I bet that magsafe happened when one day Steve tripped on a cord and broke his laptop...

Why couldn't they have made a magsafe for headphones?

Reactions: Zaap

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
Dongles are $9. Apple isn't usually in the sub-$10 market for anything.
That's still $90mil in gross sale (assuming that they'll sell a healthy 20mil iphone units, 50% of those units the user will buy a headphone dongle). Apple will milk it for all it's worth before abandon it.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
That's still $90mil in gross sale (assuming that they'll sell a healthy 20mil iphone units, 50% of those units the user will buy a headphone dongle). Apple will milk it for all it's worth before abandon it.
That seems optimistic, esp. since the phone already comes with one and comes with Lightning headphones.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
And I bet that magsafe happened when one day Steve tripped on a cord and broke his laptop...

Why couldn't they have made a magsafe for headphones?
That's an interesting idea. Not sure how practical it would be, but then I'm not sure I would have thought mag-safe power would be practical before Apple implemented it so well.

But something truly innovative like that would require some out of box thinking on Apple's part.

From my view: not only does Apple no longer do out of box thinking... they are the box.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Maybe if enough people keep drilling their own headphone jacks Apple will listen. Man, some people really will believe anything it seems ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...one-7-reveal-hidden-headphone-port-goes-viral
I wish I could say I think all the negative responses are from people who are playing along with the joke, but I'm sad to say I actually believe a few are stupid enough to believe the prank was a legit how-to video.

That said, many years ago I took a hack saw to a video card to make it fit in a Mac Cube and it worked fine.

CutoutCloseup1-800-1.jpg

Side1-400.jpg

The leads I cut through are all for an unused connector so I had decided to take the risk. It was a flashed PC card that I had no other use for so I figured what the hell.