Iphone 6(now) or Galaxy S6(wait)?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Since we are comparing potential phones I vote for the iPhone 6S.

Once they take the iPhone 6 design and give it the 1080p screen, OIS camera and 2GB of RAM it deserves then we will have the best phone on the planet.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Since we are comparing potential phones I vote for the iPhone 6S.

Once they take the iPhone 6 design and give it the 1080p screen, OIS camera and 2GB of RAM it deserves then we will have the best phone on the planet.

Troll much?

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Why do people even get samsung phones still? Samsung has the worst android implementation. If you're going to go android, at least get motorola or htc.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Why do people even get samsung phones still? Samsung has the worst android implementation. If you're going to go android, at least get motorola or htc.

Depends... if you want an android phone at around the same size as an iphone 6 plus with a camera that is almost as good, a screen that is arguably better, and a microSD card slot along with a user replaceable battery are compelling features for you then the Galaxy Note 4 from Samsung is a good choice.

Yes Samsung is well known for gunking and crufting up the stock android experience with Touchwiz. However, with the Note 4 Samsung has listened to complaints about that and toned down Touchwiz.

a microSD card slot and an easily replaceable battery are compelling features for me and as long as Samsung provides those as options I will put one of their smartphone models on the consideration list when it's time to upgrade.

As Poofyhairguy noted in a previous post the iPhone 6 and 6 plus have been given criminally low amounts of RAM for a flagship phone. Yes, you could argue that since Apple is good at streamlining the OS it's not necessary to have 2 gigs of RAM and 1 gig is fine... but when an eventual iOS upgrade would have been fine 2 gigs but is unbearable on 1 gig is released and the 6 becomes obsolete before its time that's going to suck.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
iPhone 6/6+ is the most disappointing iPhones from my point of view. Only thing I like about it is how thin it is. It just does not look elegant as past iPhones. (except for the 5C that no one remembers - I think aesthetically the 6 is equal to the 5C)

Nevertheless I think iPhones are a safe buy because there are so many out there running same things on multiple generations of hardware. Years of support is guaranteed even though you may miss newer features. And new features are usually slow to enter iPhones.

It is a very recent history that people started to believe there is a competition on hardware front between iPhones and Android phones. For all intents and purposes Apple do not need fast hardware to sell their phones. (well, they needed larger screens but that's a one time thing) They need something catchy and pretty hardware. I personally think iPhone 6/6+ failed on the latter - they have the fastest mobile CPU but they are not very pretty. IMO, of course. :biggrin:

So yah, if the choice is between the two then I would say go with the iPhone 6 instead of waiting for a totally unknown (S6) at this point.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Troll much?

No, not at all.

We have NO clue what the S6 will be like. We can make assumptions based on the direction Samsung has been moving, but we have no clue.

Meanwhile we have the iPhone 6, and it has this huge freaking flaw that will get fixed a few months after the S6 hits. Since the S6 should be closer to the iPhone 6S+ launch than from today until the S6 launch it seems like a more fair comparison.

I have been telling EVERYONE in my IRL world who asks about the new iPhone "If you can, wait until next year's models." Many don't, because OMG BIG IPHONE IS EVERYTHING I WANTED IN LIFE, but those who trust my tech judgement are waiting and they will be rewarded with a phone that outlasts the 5S (which the 6 won't).

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Nevertheless I think iPhones are a safe buy

Bad assumption. People keep assuming that iOS products are always a safe buy, and some people get burned because of it.

Like anyone who bought an iPad 3- it was a terrible buy. Within two years an iOS update made it feel slower than the iPad 2. Or anyone who has bought the original iPad Mini since the retina model hit. SUPER terrible buy, paying good money for 2011 tech that already runs iOS slowly. I think certainly the iPhone 6+, and maybe the 6, will end up a "bad buy" when we look back at it. Why? Because BOTH models have less power-per-pixel than the 5S. Whatever iOS update makes the iPhone 5S slow is going to freaking kill the 6 and 6+.

On the flip side, there are certain iOS products there in retrospect were GREAT buys. The best iOS (or mobile period) value so far was the still not dead iPad 2. The iPhone 5s looks like a great buy now. Everyone who bought the iPad Mini 2 last year got an amazing buy. There is a trend on the great buys that is easy to see when you look- an increase in power per pixel.

Going by that trend it is pretty obvious that the iPhone 6S and 6S+, if they fix the deficiencies of the current generation which is almost a guarantee, will be amazing buys on near the iPad 2 level. So if someone is asking my advice what phone to buy in 2015, I am going to say the iPhone that should be a usable device for 5+ years and not the current one that will be a slug in three years.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
That is a great point which I overlooked. I agree that the next iPhones will have more RAM inside. Furthermore, it is likely Apple went with that obvious deficiency for no other reason than planned obsolescence. In that perspective, perhaps this year's best iStuff buy was iPad Air 2 on Thanksgiving sale for $100 less.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Furthermore, it is likely Apple went with that obvious deficiency for no other reason than planned obsolescence.

It was smart on their part. The market was pent up for a big iPhone. If they would have released this awesome iPhone 6+ with the iPad air 2 SoC inside, who would even LOOK at the S model next year? You will get what, a little better battery and 10% performance boost? Yawn.

So instead they are waiting to 2015 to give us the really great large iPhone. That way the "normals" excitement drives the sales this year, while all us geeks freaking out about how awesome the new iPhone is will drive 2015 sales. What Apple does with their phones makes 100% sense, even if I don't like it. It is their tablet or watch strategies I understand less.

In that perspective, perhaps this year's best iStuff buy was iPad Air 2 on Thanksgiving sale for $100 less.

Yup, by far. Number 2 was people who got a deal on the 5S before the 6 launched.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
As much as I prefer iOS, I refuse to buy an iDevice in 2014 with only 1 GB RAM.

Hence, I bought the iPad Air 2, but skipped the iPhone 6.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
iPad Air 2 also has that neat display that looks as if things were painted. Regressed color accuracy notwithstanding (all iDevices I have seen this year have blue tint), that screen is not only pleasing to the eyes but more usable outdoors. I would have loved an Android tablet like that.

/off-topic

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
In that perspective, perhaps this year's best iStuff buy was iPad Air 2 on Thanksgiving sale for $100 less.

Also first ipad in awhile that has per pixel parity with the iphones from what I read. 2gb plus that looks like it'll last while.

Phone wise the 6/6+ are fine if you're the sort of person who buys a new phone every time the contract is up. It'll certainly last less than many other phones. I totally agree that if you're okay with waiting for the s6 you should just wait for the 6S/6S+ and possibly the note 5 to compare.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
It was smart on their part. The market was pent up for a big iPhone. If they would have released this awesome iPhone 6+ with the iPad air 2 SoC inside, who would even LOOK at the S model next year? You will get what, a little better battery and 10% performance boost? Yawn.

So instead they are waiting to 2015 to give us the really great large iPhone. That way the "normals" excitement drives the sales this year, while all us geeks freaking out about how awesome the new iPhone is will drive 2015 sales. What Apple does with their phones makes 100% sense, even if I don't like it. It is their tablet or watch strategies I understand less.

Yup, by far. Number 2 was people who got a deal on the 5S before the 6 launched.

heatware? plz..

blairharrington

Jan 1, 2009
So if someone is asking my advice what phone to buy in 2015, I am going to say the iPhone that should be a usable device for 5+ years and not the current one that will be a slug in three years.

I think it's safe to say that most people upgrade their phones before 3 years time.

I honestly don't think it makes sense to tell anybody not to get an iPhone 6/6+ because iOS 11 might run poorly for them in 2017. Unless you or they know for sure they will want to be using the same phone at that time.

As for your question OP, I would wait. The S5 was unveiled in late February this year. Samsung is jonesing to move onto the S6 after the failure of the S5 so perhaps that will mean an even faster S6 launch. I expect something much more impressive from Samsung this time out so I would simply wait if you can to make said decision.

blairharrington

Jan 1, 2009
As much as I prefer iOS, I refuse to buy an iDevice in 2014 with only 1 GB RAM.

Hence, I bought the iPad Air 2, but skipped the iPhone 6.

I honestly never notice the lack of RAM on my 6 Plus. The issue is a much bigger deal, IMO, with tablets where I'd actually have more than 2 tabs open in Safari.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I think it's safe to say that most people upgrade their phones before 3 years time.

No, I don't think that is a safe assumption. I know multiple people rocking a 4S or older. These people either use them with a prepaid plan, or can't afford to go blow the $200-$300 on upgrade pricing, or give their upgrades to their kid's/spouses that break phones, etc. We are at a kinda saturation point with the current kind of smartphone, and for many older iPhones are good enough until they don't work well.

Someone can ignore my advice and I don't get offended. If someone really wants the iPhone 6 and is just looking for justification my little RAM rant won't stop them.

I honestly don't think it makes sense to tell anybody not to get an iPhone 6/6+ because iOS 11 might run poorly for them in 2017.

Well I do, and it has NOTHING to do with the length of time. It has to do with relative value. A 2014 phone that sells for full price but will probably have the same effective life as the 2013 model is a poor value.

I still recommend the crap out of iPhones, but not the 6 or 6+. I recommend the 5S which can be had for half as much as the 6, and should last as long when you consider they both have 64 bits CPUs, the same gig of RAM, and relatively the same power per pixel.

I try to assume when I give tech advice that the person is NOT like me flipping smartphones every 18 months. No matter if it an Apple product or any other electronic device I assume they want a device that gives them the most bang for their buck period. In 2014 for Apple that is New/second hand/refurbished 2013 devices. It is just the cycle we are in.

I agree with you that I would wait if almost for this reason.

Last edited:

blairharrington

Jan 1, 2009
No, I don't think that is a safe assumption. I know multiple people rocking a 4S or older. These people either use them with a prepaid plan, or can't afford to go blow the $200-$300 on upgrade pricing, or give their upgrades to their kid's/spouses that break phones, etc. We are at a kinda saturation point with the current kind of smartphone, and for many older iPhones are good enough until they don't work well.

Someone can ignore my advice and I don't get offended. If someone really wants the iPhone 6 and is just looking for justification my little RAM rant won't stop them.

Well I do, and it has NOTHING to do with the length of time. It has to do with relative value. A 2014 phone that sells for full price but will probably have the same effective life as the 2013 model is a poor value.

I still recommend the crap out of iPhones, but not the 6 or 6+. I recommend the 5S which can be had for half as much as the 6, and should last as long when you consider they both have 64 bits CPUs, the same gig of RAM, and relatively the same power per pixel.

I try to assume when I give tech advice that the person is NOT like me flipping smartphones every 18 months. No matter if it an Apple product or any other electronic device I assume they want a device that gives them the most bang for their buck period. In 2014 for Apple that is New/second hand/refurbished 2013 devices. It is just the cycle we are in.

I agree with you that I would wait if almost for this reason.

Honestly I feel like your advice is very technical here. You have your reasons for it. That's fine. But I would never recommend a 5S over the 6 or Plus at this point unless money was the issue. The larger screen alone is worth passing over the 5S (unless they really want the 4" screen). I'm just speaking for what I'd consider passing along if someone asked. Value isn't what I'm really focused on. Also how much value are you talking here? If it's America we are looking at $100 (16 GB 5S vs 16 GB 6), assuming one purchases on-contract at a store of course.

My social circles are of course different than yours. Between coworkers, friends, and relatives, the only people rocking something which I consider to be an old phone are my relatives who don't really care unless their phone breaks. I do think most Americans with disposable income upgrade their phones every two years/contract runs out.

I'm also uncertain why 2 GB of RAM matters right now with the iPhone. I can only speak of course from personal usage. I rarely have more than 2 tabs open in my browser. I can listen to music or a podcast and browse or use Reddit or email at the same time with no issues. The lack of RAM is truly only an issue with the iPad, at least how I use mine, where I do sometimes want multiple tabs open in my browser at once.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
If they bring the build quality of the Note 4 to the S6, it'll be a really nice phone. Don't really know though. All I know is that I'll pick Android over iPhone, and it's just a matter of which Android phone I'd get.