iPhone 6 good enough in 2018?

Mar 15, 2003
Long story short my wife's pixel has been absolutely atrocious in our apartment, missing calls on wifi calling. I know the new iphones are around the corner so I don't want to make a big investment - will the iphone 6 (for free at my carrier) tide her over until december (or whenever the budget X is widely available), or is it a laggy mess after all the ios updates?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I use a 6 for work and I hate it. Part of the hate is towards iOS in general, but also towards the phone itself.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
For me the 6 has some of the worst battery life I have ever experienced.

7+ is the oldest iPhone I actually enjoy to use.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I have replaced the screen on my daughter's IP6 at least 3 times so far and it's cracked again....and that's in an Otterbox case....what are the screens made of, tissue paper?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I have replaced the screen on my daughter's IP6 at least 3 times so far and it's cracked again....and that's in an Otterbox case....what are the screens made of, tissue paper?

Do you have a tempered glass screen protector on it as well?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
6 is pretty slow at this point. I upgraded to a 6S last year which has twice the RAM and it is totally usable. No plans to upgrade.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
6S is probably the minimum you would want. The SoC and RAM are significantly better than in the 6.

I’m still using mine without issue and may wait another year before upgrading since the battery is still holding out really well. No idea how accurate their battery info is, but it says 89% of max capacity and it doesn’t feel as though it’s fallen off.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
iPhone 6S is the bare minimum you would want to get in an iPhone in 2018. Even then, a used 6S will command rather high prices. The only real issue is the battery.

I'm a light to moderate user, and my 6S had pretty good battery life. In the past few months, however, I've noticed the battery on my phone being drained more than usual, and my phone usage hasn't changed much if at all. If you're going to sidegrade to a 6S, make sure the battery can still hold a good charge.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My iPhone6 is becoming unbearably slow at this point, especially if you're trying to use it with Apple CarPlay. I'd imagine that iOS 12 will probably be the last update for it as well.

The battery life is decent now that I recently replaced it, though.

I'm waiting for a reasonably priced replacement like the "iPhone X SE" to come out soon... I refuse to spend more than $800 for a phone on principal. Or, maybe I'm just cheap. Or broke. Whatever :)

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
6 is fine.. It's only slow for people that don't know how to maintain it or use it.

Don't listen to these "Android people" they have no idea what they are talking about. My mother uses a 6 Plus and it flies. No problems whatsoever. Not a single slowdown freeze or crash. Unlike Android.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
My 6s is still going strong after 3 years. Hope to get 1-2 more. I’m expecting IOS 12 will actually improve performance.

The latest Facebook app update is not particularly fast...but seems more to do with app performance issues...and not the phone. All other apps seem to be working just fine.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
My 6s is still going strong after 3 years. Hope to get 1-2 more. I’m expecting IOS 12 will actually improve performance.

The latest Facebook app update is not particularly fast...but seems more to do with app performance issues...and not the phone. All other apps seem to be working just fine.
The 6s is a solid step up over the 6, as it doubled the RAM, added the Taptic Engine (a superior haptic feedback mechanism), and 3D Touch (which I can debate the utility of. I'd rather have it than not, and it doesn't take anything away).

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
I use a 6 on wifi for media consumption. It's absolutely fine on iOS 12 beta, actually much faster than previous iOS versions. The battery isn't that great, but it's speedy enough for daily use.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Is it really free, or "free"? I don't see why a carrier would just give away a phone like that, even an oldie like the iPhone 6.

Might want to try working on how she's treating the phone, doesn't sound like the screen is the issue...