iphone 5s

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Yiking, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Yiking

Yiking Junior Member

I heard the new iphone 5s wont be made with the same products as the older models because the products used to make them are pricey <---lol.
    Anyways this means that the iphones that are going to release in the future are going to be made with cheaper products such as the sides of the iphone made in alluminium will be made with plastic.I am keeping my iphone untill it dies, does this mean older generations are going to be higher in price that newer generations?(not in apples perspective but the consummer) would like to see more opinions thanks.

2. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

No.

MotionMan

3. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

You hear a lot of things. Are these in your dreams or do the voice come during the day?

4. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

Be nice. And stay on topic, please.
    Moderator PM

5. Crono

Crono Lifer

It's not the 5S, the 5S (I really hope they don't call it that, looks almost like SS in print :D) should still be on track to be a "normal" iPhone.

The rumor is that an additional lower-cost (but still not cheap) iPhone model, a iPhone "5C", is being produced. This is a reasonable expectation and a wise move as most of the major markets are already saturated with iPhone sales and there isn't like to be a ton of growth in the United States or Europe as far as full-price aluminum body iPhones. In developing markets (India, China, Brazil, Africa, etc) lower priced Android phones and Windows Phones are starting to sell like candy (and in candy colors, I might add). Apple needs some of that new market love to continue growing as a company and please shareholders.

A $300 iPhone sounds about right. A new phone at about half the price of the 5S and with mostly the same featureset and similar hardware, just slightly lower specifications and a polycarbonate (read: plastic) body. HTC and Samsung are already doing similar things with their premium brands by offering not-so-mini "mini" versions of the One and Galaxy S4, respectively. And Nokia covers almost every price point with polycarbonate Windows Phone 8 phones and their Asha phones, except the Lumia 925 variant partially made out of aluminum, the Lumia 925.

#5 Crono, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. Bman123

Bman123 Diamond Member

They need to increase the screen size, until then Samsung will keep getting more customers. If they made a 4.5 inch or bigger screen phone I would never use Android again, I love having a big screen on my phone

7. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

What about people who don't love a big screen? 4" is fine by me, if they went bigger I wouldn't buy it. Apple's the only company that has a phone for people who don't want a near tablet in their pocket. There's obviously a market because the iPhone outsells any single phone.

8. Lyfer

Lyfer Diamond Member

If you are talking about the Iphone in general yes, but not the Iphone 5. I have 3 lines out of contract with Verizon and my current device is Iphone 4S (all lines have unilmited data). I always thought that anything bigger than 4" was too big, but after playing with my younger brothers phones (they have S3's/Note 2), I'll have to admit that I hate having a tiny screen. If Apple's next device doesn't offer atleast a 4.5" or larger alternative, my 4S maybe last apple Iphone.

I just ordered a new Nexus 7 on NC's tax free weekend, can't wait to get it btw :D.

9. OBLAMA2009

OBLAMA2009 Diamond Member

theyre just giving a huge chunk of the market away by not having better screens

10. dragantoe

dragantoe Senior member

lol wut?

11. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

I'm of the same opinion, but we are the minority. People who buy the iPhone because of the screen size are a tiny portion of the sales. Most buy it for either the OS or because it's made by Apple with the screen size having nothing to do with it.

12. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

Honest question:

Which other phone model currently outsells any presently available iPhone model?

MotionMan

13. dawheat

dawheat Platinum Member

Honestly if Apple does release a 'budget' iPhone, unless it's seriously decontented, I see it going for $500 off contract vs. $650 for a new off-contract 5S. I'd love to be proven wrong but don't see Apple sacrificing their margins too much.

14. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

Since we're all guessing here I'm going to choose the middle ground: $400 (off contract price) for iPhone 5C. Book it!

15. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

That's not really a fair fight, as Apple's product line is smaller than Samsung's. With Samsung, you have the Galaxy S and Note product lines for the high end, and a bunch of lesser known brands for the prepaid market. Apple has the iPhone... And that's it.

If you compared cell phone sales totals by brand, Samsung is beating Apple now.

16. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

Oh, and I do not see the problem with a plastic iPhone. The iPhone 3G had a plastic case, and it seemed much more durable than all those shattered glass iPhone 4's that I see the spoiled Connecticut mall rats carrying.

17. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

So we are all in agreement on the original statement. :)

18. QueBert

QueBert Lifer

what part did you find funny and what part didn't you understand? I don't know how I could make it any easier to understand, buy I'll try. What I said was a very simple to understand fact, the iPhone 5's the best selling phone there is. Before that it was the 4s, before that it was the 4, before that it was the 3GS, etc etc etc.

Nope, here's the reason. A person buying a G4 or Note II wouldn't even be looking at any of the other models, they want a flagship phone. So flagship to flagship phone Apple spanks Samsung. And people who buy the pre paid cheap phones wouldn't be buying a flagship one. If Samsung offered only had 2 phones - the G4 & the Note II, they still wouldn't outsell Apple, plain and simple.

#18 QueBert, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  19. dawheat

dawheat Platinum Member

Well I was basing it off the fact that an off-contract 4S is $550 from major carriers.

So assuming it uses similar internals to the 5 (vs. the 5S) with a cheaper exterior build, $500 off contract and $99 on contract IMO.

20. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

The question was not by brand, it was by model. QueBert's statement had to do with a "single phone". So, thus, the question remains, which phone model currently outsells any presently available iPhone model?

It appears the answer is "none".

Samsung has more models of phones, but no one phone model outsells any iPhone, so dragantoe's "lol wut?" is without support.

MotionMan

21. Yuriman

Yuriman Diamond Member

I have a hunch that if Apple released a lower priced iPhone, their flagship phone might well be outsold by the S4 as there would be a lot of people who wouldn't have to pony up $650 to stay in the iOS ecosystem. Apple might sell more phones overall, but without a doubt some of the "5S" sales would be cannibalized.

22. MotionMan

MotionMan Lifer

Why does everyone assume that most people pay full-price for their phones?

The iPhone 4 is free with contract. The 4S is only $99.

Also, I think it has been proven, time and time again, that paying full-price for a phone out of contract makes financial sense for only a small percentage of people, and only results in a small savings, if any.

MotionMan

23. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

The iPhone outsells individually because it only ever has one new model. It's the one and only way to get a new iOS phone. Android takes a different approach, a greater variety giving consumers more options. Apples to oranges.

"Samsung makes more money than Apple selling phones." Well that's because they sell more models! The same thing applies to iPhones selling more individually. Because there is only one new model to choose from!

Back on topic, I'm glad to see Apple come out with the 5C, I hope they continue this trend of offering more variety.

24. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Apple products hold the values rather well, but older models becoming more expensive is a bit of a stretch. ^^

25. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Are they really going to call it 5C?