iphone 5--16mb or 32mb--Which should I get??

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by x26, Jan 17, 2013.

1. x26

x26 Senior member

Hi;

iphone 5--16mb or 32mb--Which should I get??

I have iphone 4 with 16mb and it's more than enough but may want to start taking video's with new iphone 5--

I know video takes lots of space--is there some way to readily transfer video to my PC or Cloud/Skydrive so I don't have to spend extra $100.00 for a miserable 16mb more??(apple really rheems you on storage cost)

Thanks in Advance!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - iphone 16mb 32mb Forum Date
    iphone se back housing replacement Mobile Devices & Gadgets May 4, 2017
    iPhone 6s battery degradation? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Apr 19, 2017
    Sucker for red. Anybody else desiring the red iphone? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 23, 2017
    I thought unlocking an iPhone was supposed to be simple Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 6, 2017

3. Pedroc1999

Pedroc1999 Senior member

sorry to point this out but do you mean 32 GIGABYTES?

4. dougp

dougp Diamond Member

Regardless if it's 16mb or 32mb, you'll definently need some cloud storage.

5. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

I use dropbox to transfer photos and videos. Dropbox for iOS is not as seamless as under Android (or Windows) in that you have to have click the Dropbox app on iOS to start the transfer but it does work well enough.

Still the question about 16GB vs. 32GB is mostly about how much annoyance there will be sitting at 16GB. To me, I only spend money when I have to, not when I think I might maybe need to in the future. So if I'm constantly hitting the 16GB limit on my phone and I have to do weird things to shuffle more space, then I'd spend the money for 32GB, but I don't think that I would do it unless I already had a problem that I'd been dealing with.

I mean worst-case, you get 16GB and you have to move videos off to take more videoes... and you need to judge how long the videos are (and thus how large) and how annoying that would have to be and how often it would happen. But for me - and since you are asking for advice, I'll give you my opinion - I would get the 16GB and then wait for the problem to happen and then deal with the problem by shuffling things around and then if it's super annoying then next upgrade get the 32GB.

6. x26

x26 Senior member

Thanks for the Reasonable and easily understood advice.

I have only used 4.0 GB on my Iphone 4--but I haven't put any video on it yet and I keep the majority of my music off the iphone.

I sthere an Easy way to offload Video from the Iphome 5 to my PC or icloud/Sydrive??

Thanks again

7. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

1080P video will eat storage space up fast, just going to depend on how much you are going to shoot before transfering off.

8. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

16GB. It's a bad idea to buy more than you need with storage on a phone, learn to figure out what you might actually use (Do you need to have that 1.5GB game which you rarely play on your phone? Is that worth $100?)

I got the 32GB iPhone 5 after having a 64GB iPhone 4S (32GB wasn't available at the time) and never used more than 16GB. 16GB is the sweet spot.

9. pm

pm Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br>Mobile Device
    Super Moderator

There is a Skydrive app - and although I've never used it, I've heard it works fine, and you can upload and then move the file or mark it not to sync and delete it from the phone. And the Dropbox app also does this. And, there's also the whole iCloud thing - although as you mention it gets expensive after you reach the limit.

I use Dropbox and I'm happy enough - although as I said, I have to say that this is one app that is hands-down way better on Android.

#8 pm, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  10. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Going from 16GB to 32GB is certainly not worth the $100 price premium.
    If the difference was only $50, then it would be more reasonable and make sense....But it's not.

I'd stick with 16GB.

11. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

The outrageous price Apple is seemingly able to charge for more memory boggles my mind. It should be $50 per gap tops. Not $100. It's just tragic.

Unfortunately, I know a lot of people that continue to buy the 64GB versions because they think they need to get "the best".

12. x26

x26 Senior member

Thanks for All the Help!!

I got the 16 gb 5 !! (1 for me and 1 for wifeyPooh)

I'm glad to have you folks to talk me down--from Overspending.

Aside: I have a Phobia("Condition") where oftentimes I'm afraid(anxious) of not having enough of something; ie., Memory, CPU power, HorsePower, and on and on Ad Nauseum. lol!!

13. m3ta1head

m3ta1head Senior member

get the one with the geebees!

14. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

I got the iphone5 with 32gb knowing I would eat through it quickly. Fortunately the job paid for it. He'll, need for speed most wanted alone is nearly 3gbs!

15. Rottie

Rottie Diamond Member

I have an iPhone 4s with 16GB and I think 16GB is enough because I took a lot of 1080p video all the time, it never run out because I noticed I only took less than 10 minutes video. It was enough for youtube download over 3G. So if you plan to take more than 10 minutes video then you can buy 32GB iPhone.