iPhone 10 year anniversary edition to cost $1K+

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Update (2/19/2017): According to a famed analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo, the special edition iPhone will be the size of 4.7" iPhone, sporting a curved 5.8" OLED screen (2800x1242) with actual display area of 5.15" (2436x1125).

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/15/2017-iphone-edge-to-edge-display-virtual-buttons/

kuoiphone8size-800x470.jpg

Apple's 2017 iPhone, which is expected to feature premium parts and radical design changes, could cost "north of $1,000," reports Fast Company, citing a source with "knowledge of Apple's plans."

Rumors suggest the upcoming iPhone, which may be called the iPhone 8, will feature an OLED display that's more expensive than traditional LED displays. Other improvements, such as an increase in memory and wireless charging functionality may also drive up the price. It's not hard to imagine the iPhone hitting that price point when the 256GB iPhone 7 Plus is already at $969 in the United States, and previous rumors have also suggested it will be a "premium" device.

Fast Company's source also confirms some iPhone 8 design rumors, describing the device as "something like a smooth black monolith, with few visual interruptions to its sleek design." That jibes with rumors indicating Apple design chief Jony Ive has been aiming for an iPhone that looks like a single sheet of glass with the Home button and Touch ID fingerprint sensor located under the display.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/08/2017-iphone-8-1000-plus/

This is not a surprise to me. Ripping off loyal customers has been a trend among tech corporations that are losing the market share or are unable to excite the market. Personally there is little to no chance for me to get one of these, but I do foresee strong emotions and controversies surrounding the product, which will be considered half the success by some. ^^

So there will allegedly be a lineup of total of 3 models including a new high-end iPhone, along with the usual 4.7" and 5.5" models. The new high-end model will be visually distinguishable from the new "cheap" models, sporting OLED screen and wireless charging. I briefly thought about the name and came up with "Apple iPhone Edition." XD Sadly there is no rumors about an iPhone SE successor.

P.S. I know the 256 GB iPhone 7 Plus is already over $1K after the tax, therefore I presume the $1K figure is based on the model with the least amount of storage. (hopefully 64 GB or more, lol)

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Please, please don't assume this is true.

Remember how analysts were sure the iPad was going to cost $1,000? Remember what it actually sold for? Not that you're about to get a 5.8-inch AMOLED iPhone for $500, but I wouldn't trust any pricing rumors that aren't from historically rock-solid sources... especially when we're roughly half a year away from launch. The $1,000 price isn't implausible, just far from guaranteed.

As for the iPhone SE update: it's not surprising that there's no word on a new one yet. The iPhone SE was clearly designed to have a long shelf life, and the next one is likely to either be a minor upgrade with no fanfare (new CPU and storage options) or won't come out until Apple can offer a more substantial redesign. I could see it getting a bump sometime this year, but it's just as possible that you'll have to wait for a major overhaul in 2018.

Reactions: lopri

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Depends. If they do the whole "Edition" thing, it may very well cost more than a thousand. Especially if the rumors are true about the phsyical specs, it's going to make the 7S iPhones look like dinosaurs, so Apple just might price it very high because they know certain people will pay anything to have the best of a particular product line.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
but I do foresee strong emotions and controversies surrounding the product, which will be considered half the success by some.
And exercising similarly finely honed powers of prognostication, I predict the sun will set here on the East Coast of the United States at approximately 5:30 p.m. this evening and then will rise again early tomorrow morning. :D/;)

Last edited:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
P.S. I know the 256 GB iPhone 7 Plus is already over $1K after the tax, therefore I presume the $1K figure is based on the model with the least amount of storage. (hopefully 64 GB or more, lol)

I would assume a "anniversary" edition would come one way with the maximum amount of storage. Guess we will find out.

-KeithP

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Not sure how it's a rip off. As said, even normal models can cost north of $1K, why wouldn't a special anniversary edition. Would I buy it? Hell no. But there are many who will, more power to Apple giving people what they clamor for.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Apple orders an estimated 160 million iPhone 8 OLED panels, plans massive shipments

Joel Hruska @extremetech said:
Samsung has signed an agreement with Apple to provide a full 160 million screens for the Apple iPhone 8, according to the Korean Herald (we’ve heard rumors it could also be titled as the iPhone X, though that’s scarcely confirmed). That’s surprising, for several reasons. First, Apple only shipped 211 million devices last year, and 231 million in 2015. If Apple is ordering OLEDs for a full 76% of its previous year in sales, it clearly expects the consumer response to be massive. But that’s surprising given that the iPhone 8/X’s flagship model is expected to cost $1m000. Even if the handset ships with a huge number of new and unusual features, how many people will be willing to pay four digits to get one? Apple’s average selling prices (ASPs) for the iPhone as a whole hit $695 this past quarter, in a new record for the company — but $1000 is a full 1.44x more than that.

Maybe there will be no special model? Price increases across the board?

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
People would be disappointed if they didn't pay a lot more for a Secial Edition (mass produced) iPhone. That alone is worth an extra couple hundred dollars at least.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
The problem is, they need a massive apple symbol that lights up... Or some sort of distinguishing feature to say ... Hey look over here, I have a 1200 dollar cell phone ... Bling Bling type of statement that a lot of people are looking for. The ultimate chick magnet.

All jokes aside, your better off getting a date with an iphone than an android phone, I just read an article about it. Chicks apparently dig the iphone or any man that carries one. Now if you already are married or in a stable relationship! Then I guess any phone will do, cracked screen or not. :p

I guess samsung will start pricing out their hardware as well. Dunno, I never had the "Next" best thing. I'm pretty happy staying one generation under the pack. It's always nice to get a new phone every 1-2 years. I wish that they would evolve quicker with more features for a reason to upgrade, but I can't find any.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, the iphone 8 will be more like the note 7? Also, who is manufacturing the oled screen for the ip8?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
All jokes aside, your better off getting a date with an iphone than an android phone, I just read an article about it. Chicks apparently dig the iphone or any man that carries one. Now if you already are married or in a stable relationship! Then I guess any phone will do, cracked screen or not. :p
Recent article, not one from 10 years ago? Or was this 'chicks' as in 13 year olds?

I honestly can't imagine an actual adult woman of any substance giving a flying rip what phone a man has. Guys who think a woman is impressed in 2017 by... a phone... (laugh!) something literally *EVERYONE* now has or can get with little fuss... well.. good luck. :)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Display area is actually 5.15" @2436x1125. The entire front is (curved?) glass which measures 5.8" diagonally. The bottom "function" area houses home button and potentially more. (?) Neither 2800x1242 nor 2436x1125 is a standard aspect ratio. (e.g. 16:9)

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ming-Chi Kuo is at it again.

kuoiphone8size-800x470.jpg

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/15/2017-iphone-edge-to-edge-display-virtual-buttons/

If true, this iPhone will indeed have a refreshing look. 5.8" screen wrapped around the size of current 4.7" iPhone body will look striking and is also much more practical to handle than the Plus.

I remember seeing that this week and getting a bit giddy... not the least of which is for the resolution. It's not quite equivalent to quad HD when you eliminate the function area, but it should be nicer to look at than what you see today. Certainly on a phone with that physical size. I'm not worried about the odd resolution -- after all, the iPhone 6/6s/7 use a 750p resolution you don't see anywhere else.

And I'm also interested in how specific this analyst rumor/leak is. Normally, even the accurate analyst scoops are pretty vague; if this is authentic at all, it's clear Kuo has an inside line on what Apple's doing.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Well, at least iPhone users finally get OLED.

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Seems unlikely that they drop lightning. What I assume it means is that there's a USB-C to lightning connector or they ship with an adapter.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Seems unlikely that they drop lightning. What I assume it means is that there's a USB-C to lightning connector or they ship with an adapter.

I could see it. If there's any opportunity to ditch Lightning, a complete redesign is it. Apple helped develop the USB-C spec; it has an incentive to make this connector succeed beyond computers. The format is friendlier to displays and other peripherals. And it's not clear how much bandwidth Lightning actually has -- this is a spec that has largely remained unchanged since 2012. It wouldn't be surprising if USB-C becomes necessary to handle faster flash storage or other bandwidth demands.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
And it's not clear how much bandwidth Lightning actually has -- this is a spec that has largely remained unchanged since 2012.

I don't think it's limited by the interface itself as originally it supported USB 2.0 speeds, but the iPad Pro is capable of USB 3.0 (or USB 3.1 Gen 1 since they renamed it, but it's easier to call it USB 3.0 and refer to USB 3.1 Gen 2 as USB 3.1) speeds, so I think it's just a matter of the controller included in the device and the cable being compatible with that version of USB. USB-C uses USB 3.1 which offers double the speed (10 Gbps vs 5 Gbps) of USB 3.0, but if Apple is going to make a Lightning-USB-C cable, they may add the capability for their devices to support those speeds, especially now that they're using USB-C ports on their computers. Maybe there is some technical limitation that prevents that from happening, but even USB 3.0 speeds are going to be enough for most uses and users.

Also, USB-C is being used for more than just USB now. Thunderbolt 3 uses the USB-C plug as well for example but is capable of speeds up to 40 Gbps. USB-C is just a connector, as not all USB-C cables or devices support USB 3.1 speeds. So the answer isn't necessarily clear cut in terms of what Lightning can support. My guess is that it probably could support those same speeds, but it's just a matter of cost. It could very well be a way that Apple differentiates their product lineup with only the more expensive iPad Pro or iPhone+ devices supporting the fastest speeds while the other models are limited to USB 2.0/3.0 speeds.