iPad Safari full screen...glitch?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
iOS 6 added full-screen browsing for iPhone and iPod touch. The iPad never got the full-screen mode (as far as I can tell). Already, my iPhone 5 does AirPlay mirroring better than my iPad because the 16:9 screen aspect matches the TV. On top of that, the iPad has no way to hide the tabs and navigation controls...so even less of the 4:3 space on my 16:9 TV can display a web page.

Safari seems to have glitched once and it was halfway there. I opened Safari on my iPad mini one day and noticed that there was no status bar. Cool! a little bit of extra screen space is always welcome. I tried both orientations and there was no status bar.

Google fails me. I can't tell if this is a glitch or if there's some way to activate it and I just don't know how.

After I killed the process, the status bar is back. I took 2 screen shots before I did it (ill post them in a bit).

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
iOS 6 added full-screen browsing for iPhone and iPod touch. The iPad never got the full-screen mode (as far as I can tell). Already, my iPhone 5 does AirPlay mirroring better than my iPad because the 16:9 screen aspect matches the TV. On top of that, the iPad has no way to hide the tabs and navigation controls...so even less of the 4:3 space on my 16:9 TV can display a web page.

Safari seems to have glitched once and it was halfway there. I opened Safari on my iPad mini one day and noticed that there was no status bar. Cool! a little bit of extra screen space is always welcome. I tried both orientations and there was no status bar.

Google fails me. I can't tell if this is a glitch or if there's some way to activate it and I just don't know how.

After I killed the process, the status bar is back. I took 2 screen shots before I did it (ill post them in a bit).

Happened to me too a few times on my iPad2 with latest iOS. I'm quite sure it's a bug. it also stops you from tapping the status bar to get to the top of the page. I can't really use Safari without that feature (a way to get to top with one tap).

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Happened to me too a few times on my iPad2 with latest iOS. I'm quite sure it's a bug. it also stops you from tapping the status bar to get to the top of the page. I can't really use Safari without that feature (a way to get to top with one tap).

I think I tested the top-tap. Don't recall if it worked or not. With the official full-screen feature on my iPhone, I can tap the top to scroll back to the top, even though there's no status bar.