iPad Pro worth it over an iPad for Netflix streaming?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'm considering buying an 32GB 9.7" iPad but was wondering if a 64GB 10.5" iPad Pro is worth it if all I'm going to be doing is Netflix streaming during trips. The purpose for me wanting a tablet is so that I can stream Netflix through Wi-Fi when I'm bored on trips.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I would say no, but if you demand the highest in display quality, then that is something the Pro will have over the vanilla model.

Feb 25, 2011
What WiFi will you have on trips? You mean hotels? Assume the housekeeping staff will steal it.

Buy a Fire HD 10. They're cheap as hell. Is it as good a screen as an iPad? No. But see above about theft.

If the screen is bigger/smaller than you want, sit a little farther/closer from the screen. If screen quality is an issue in a dimly lit hotel room, you're too close to the screen.

Your dad had a 7" TV in his living room when he was your age.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm considering buying an 32GB 9.7" iPad but was wondering if a 64GB 10.5" iPad Pro is worth it if all I'm going to be doing is Netflix streaming during trips. The purpose for me wanting a tablet is so that I can stream Netflix through Wi-Fi when I'm bored on trips.

Not if it's primarily for Netflix. The iPad Pro is best for people who'll use it regularly for either a wide variety of tasks or for creative purposes. I have the 10.5-inch model, and it's great, but it's also utter overkill for catching up on Jessica Jones. Roll the savings into a good case and other accessories.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I think it could be worth it if you get the 12.9" version which is amazing for watching videos and has great sound quality.

Reactions: robvas

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Buy a Fire HD 10. They're cheap as hell. Is it as good a screen as an iPad? No.

Another vote for the Fire HD 10. Seriously. I received a 128gb iPad 9.7" 2017 for my birthday, but on an impulse, I bought the latest Kindle Fire 10 when it was $100. I returned the iPad and saved myself over $200. For media, the Kindle is way more versatile and I actually like the 10.1 screen ratio better on the Kindle. Screen quality looks fine to me also. I installed Google Play store and some of my other favorite apks and it's working flawlessly.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have the 10.5 pro and love the 120hz refresh on it for video. But yeah, probably way overkill for your use.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Maybe get a refurbed or used 9.7" iPad Pro? The new iPad is technically faster, but the Pro would have a nicer display, and stereo speakers. I have an Air 2 and a 12.9 Pro, and the better speakers on the Pro are a big deal when watching video.

After taking a quick glance at Swappa it looks like you can get a used 9.7" Pro for not much more than a new iPad.

I mean, for absolute budget reasons the Fire 10 that was recommended is a solid choice. Half the cost is half the cost.

amyklai

Nov 11, 2008
IMO, the big difference in image quality in iPad displays is laminated display vs not laminated display. The rest is nice but not as big of a difference.

So, if you want something that's cheap but better screen than the new iPads (2017/2018), get an iPad Air 2.

If you don't mind spending a little more cash and want better sound (quite nice imho) and the TruTone display (not a big deal imho), get an iPad Pro 9.7.

The 12.9 might be worth it if you don't mind the money and the drop in portability.

The 10.5 probably won't be worth it purely for watching videos - I've got one, and coming from an Air 2, the screen wasn't much of an improvement to me. The main advantage here are the speakers, but you can get those with a cheaper 9.7 Pro too.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
IMO, the big difference in image quality in iPad displays is laminated display vs not laminated display. The rest is nice but not as big of a difference.

So, if you want something that's cheap but better screen than the new iPads (2017/2018), get an iPad Air 2.

If you don't mind spending a little more cash and want better sound (quite nice imho) and the TruTone display (not a big deal imho), get an iPad Pro 9.7.

The 12.9 might be worth it if you don't mind the money and the drop in portability.

The 10.5 probably won't be worth it purely for watching videos - I've got one, and coming from an Air 2, the screen wasn't much of an improvement to me. The main advantage here are the speakers, but you can get those with a cheaper 9.7 Pro too.
10.5" has the advantage over the 9.7" Pro in that it has 4GB of RAM compared to 2GB, but that's less important if it's just a dumb screen.

I echo the recommendation of the Air 2 over the new iPad if display quality is the primary factor.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
The iPad aspect ratio is kinda poor for videos, but it isn't unwatchable. I wouldn't do it. I own an Air 2 and it is great but I do not like the black bars for video.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The iPad aspect ratio is kinda poor for videos, but it isn't unwatchable. I wouldn't do it. I own an Air 2 and it is great but I do not like the black bars for video.

The problem with choosing a tablet with a 16:9 ratio, though, is that you tend to compromise just about everything else. Let's face it, the iPad is probably the best-balanced tablet out there (the Surface Pro is more powerful, but it's also overkill).

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The problem with choosing a tablet with a 16:9 ratio, though, is that you tend to compromise just about everything else. Let's face it, the iPad is probably the best-balanced tablet out there (the Surface Pro is more powerful, but it's also overkill).
True. I wish Samsung kept up with their Tab Pro line. I think the Tab Pro 8.4 had the best ratio for video. But staying at 4.4.2. just killed it for me. Then the Tab S series just aped ipad. I love my Tab S3 but hate the screen ration. But, it does have HDR and HDR looks great on it!

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Second the fire suggestions. I used to have one and it was great for video and books. Then I decided I wanted a more general use tablet and got an ipad. No doubt the ipad is better, but if you basically want to play media back, fire tablets are the way to go. The only caveat to that is if 'books' means really heavy PDF files. The processor on the ipad makes a substantial difference in how fast you can scroll through heavy reference material.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
A 64GB/10.5" iPad Pro just to stream Netflix through highly questionable wifi sources just for when you're bored during travel?

No.

That has cheap tablet written all over it, otherwise just overkill for not much upside once cost/chance of theft/ limitations of a lot of crappy hotel wifi networks are factored in.

If you were doing work or other tasks with the iPad that justified it, then sure.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I own two Fire HD's and a couple of ipads among other tablets in my house. Ipads are superior to the Fire Tablets. I'd just buy a new ipad or a used one but I'd without a doubt go with an ipad over the Fire. For movie watching I just enjoy the screen on the ipad much more.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Hey if someone has $500 more to blow on a tablet just for Netflix while traveling, go for it. Kinda silly IMO but use whatever for that.

Personally, the SD slot and the (holy !!!!!) surprising near indestructibleness of the Fire HD 10 would make me want one (plus the $ savings), if I just needed something for Netflix .

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hey if someone has $500 more to blow on a tablet just for Netflix while traveling, go for it. Kinda silly IMO but use whatever for that.

Personally, the SD slot and the (holy !!!!!) surprising near indestructibleness of the Fire HD 10 would make me want one (plus the $ savings), if I just needed something for Netflix .

I couldn't abide by Amazon's Android-but-not-really experience myself. It's fine if you're watching Netflix (and of course, Amazon Prime), but it's odd to have Android without much of the flexibility it offers.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
OP: "all I'm going to be doing is Netflix streaming.."

So sure. $149 or so vs. $649 or so. Go for it.

(Also of course the Fire isn't the only choice, just a pretty good one for the task.)

accguy9009

Oct 21, 2007
Another vote for the Fire HD 10. Seriously. I received a 128gb iPad 9.7" 2017 for my birthday, but on an impulse, I bought the latest Kindle Fire 10 when it was $100. I returned the iPad and saved myself over $200. For media, the Kindle is way more versatile and I actually like the 10.1 screen ratio better on the Kindle. Screen quality looks fine to me also. I installed Google Play store and some of my other favorite apks and it's working flawlessly.

I also got a Fire HD 10. Its not used daily but for Amazon Prime music or video, Google Play video or music or an extra device for many things it is a handy device. Easy to enable and install Play store and G apps etc. Also now has Alexa support. Not saying the hardware is on par with an ipad. But for Netflix, prime video etc its a solid choice at an attractive price. I got the one offered with no ads during BF sales. Very respectable battery life. It is heavier than an ipad. Get the ipad if you want as it is a great product also.

Sep 5, 2016
you re not reading the question pple

he s not asking for other products, leave your opinions for yourself pls

Ipad pro and the old ipad air 2 were exactly the same for your purpose.
But the new ipad is heavier, thicker end has a little worst display than the pro.

i would buy a standard ipad for cheap