Ipad or mini - Spotlight Search clear

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by araf, Nov 19, 2012.

1. araf

araf Junior Member

Can anyone tell me how to erase, clear, delete (permanently, not just hide) history on Spotlight Search in iPad without jailbreaking it?? (Not that I would even know how to do that...) Yes. I read the iPad user guide end to end. Even when you go to settings to clear cache, data and cookies, and even when you delete and then empty trash on emails, including off the main email inbox on gmail web pages, the thread and ghost of the record of it all still shows up on every Spotlight Search. You cannot open a deleted email message that appears in Spotlight results, but you can see who it's to, who it's from, and the date, the subject, and the first few words of it. You click but cannot go to a website url that appears in Spotlight search after you have cleared history, but you can see what it was. Ev. BAD - Apple techs said the only way to clear everything from Spotlight search is to reset entire system to factory settings out of the box, which of course also deletes everything that's on iPad - all apps, data, notes, photos, etc. etc. There has to be a way to clear this. It's the one BIG flaw in the device that I have found so far -- why isn't everyone complaining about this??? The Spotlight search results screen just becomes a giant glob of useless clutter since it contains all the stuff you've deleted because you don't want it anymore, but when you search for stuff you DO want and kept, it shows all the old items are still there like leftover food in the fridge that you do not intend to eat. Eventually it gets overwritten I suppose but sheesh how long does that take???

#1 araf, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Ipad mini Spotlight Forum Date
    Need Case recommendations for iPad Mini 4 All Things Apple Dec 28, 2016
    iPad Air 2 & iPad mini 4 updated (Sept. 7, 2016) All Things Apple Sep 7, 2016
    Ipad mini and usb adapter All Things Apple Feb 6, 2016
    ipad mini 2 won't connect to Netflix All Things Apple Nov 6, 2015
    ipad mini 4 or ipad air 2 All Things Apple Nov 2, 2015

3. techs

techs Lifer

Bump.
    Anyone?

4. Syrome

Syrome Member

Wish I knew the answer myself. Ill keep checking in to see if there is an answer..

5. techs

techs Lifer

Anyone?

6. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

First, is the message really deleted? It's not sitting in the trash folder or archived, correct?

7. araf

araf Junior Member

Yes, deleted, deleted, trash emptied, etc. I am surprised that there is so little interest in this issue. I consider it a grotesque flaw on Apple's part. Basically it renders the Spotlight Search function as a giant trash heap which means it's esentially useless for what users really need it for - which is to find stuff they want.

8. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

have you tried unchecking the mail from the spotlight search, rebooting the device and then reenabling mail in spotlight? I would think that would clear the cache.

9. araf

araf Junior Member

Yes, in Settings, I have unchecked, then rechecked choices. Have not rebooted though. Rebooting is: holding home button and off button simultaneously, correct? ..you do not mean reset to new option in the Settings/ General menus, correct? I know resetting to new will clear it, but it also clears everything else on there, including all data and apps. Thx. for advice.

10. araf

araf Junior Member

No. Reboot did not clear Spotlight search cache. Skimmed a lot of YouTube clips...all showing it can be done very easily BUT only after jail breaking.

11. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

Yeah, I just tried it on my iPad. I think it worked on one, but then it didn't on a second... So I have no idea.

12. seaweed1317

seaweed1317 Junior Member

To clear that never ending list on the Search Screen, go to Settings\General. Look to the right for "Spotlight Search" & clear out all check marks. Mine are all gone