Iowa's biggest newspaper endorses Edwards

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Edwards is a compassionate, appealing and smart fellow. But, he looks too much like a Hollywood version of "President" and he flashes that Pepsodent smile way too much for me. The one good thing about him is he rarely attacks someone else. While Kerry is looking and sounding like a complete idiot tripping all over himself to rip Dean and Clark, Edwards just oozes Southern charm and hospitality. We could do worse than Edwards for President. Like Bush? ::)

-Robert

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
why should a newspaper be in the business of supporting one candidate over the other?

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
why should a newspaper be in the business of supporting one candidate over the other?

I really like Edwards, but I ask the same question. I thought the news was supposed to remain impartial?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Support of a candidate is usually done by the editorial staff, though often it is little more than the Publisher's opinion. Anyway, support for certain candidates is a long tradition in the newspaper industry and there is nothing wrong with it since most folks understand the endorsement is nothing more than the opinion of one or several people at the paper.

Opinion is not news, unless it IS news. :)

-Robert