Ionic Breeze

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
So after my allergies struck last night, I think I may get an Ionic Breeze from Sharper Image. Anyone have one of these? How well do they work? There are like 7 to choose from and I have no idea which one I should get...

Advice?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yeah, don't buy them. Just read reviews on Amazon.com, people get headaches from them and have company-related problems (warranty, quality, etc.). Read up on air purifiers here:

http://www.aircleaners.com/

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..gadget store junk. CU reported on them over the years. Poor investment. anything from sharper image will end up out at the curb. think radio shack when you look at sharper image junk.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Pro: It is inexpensive to operate.
Con: It is damn expensive to buy.

Pro: It does get rid of air pollutants.
Con: Other products do it too, but 100x better/faster.

Pro: They now have ozone eliminating options.
Con: It generated ozone, the company ignored the problem for years, and now has an even more expensive add-on to finally fix it.

ondarkness

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2004
HA.
it looks so futuristic tho!
j/k
I had one, glad I don't anymore.
humidifiers/purifiers ftw

yuchai

Aug 24, 2004
You may want to check out the Venta Airwashers. I have one and am very happy with it.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Give some options for better ones then. Cause I am looking at getting one off of ebay.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Of course I doubt 99% of the people who will chime in here about how they suck have never used one.

I have one. Have had it for years. It works great. Every so often I clean it off and end up with a black paper towel from the crap. It's not meant as a whole house filter or anything but would work great in a bedroom or something.

But I wouldn't buy one new and pay $350 or whatever. I got mine from the Sharper Image Auction/Refurb area. Paid like $150 and had the full warranty on it. Best thing to do is go to a local SI store if you have one, buy it. Use it for 30 days and return it. Then if you want to keep it, get it online for cheaper. That's what I did.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Of course I doubt 99% of the people who will chime in here about how they suck have never used one.

I have one. Have had it for years. It works great. Every so often I clean it off and end up with a black paper towel from the crap. It's not meant as a whole house filter or anything but would work great in a bedroom or something.

But I wouldn't buy one new and pay $350 or whatever. I got mine from the Sharper Image Auction/Refurb area. Paid like $150 and had the full warranty on it. Best thing to do is go to a local SI store if you have one, buy it. Use it for 30 days and return it. Then if you want to keep it, get it online for cheaper. That's what I did.

I bet 99% of the people bitching that suicide sucks have never done it either.

pcnerd37

Sep 20, 2004
We have two. They are high maintenance, I dont recommend them, We dont even have it plugged in most of the time because we dont want to deal with it.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: waggy
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kelemvor

But I wouldn't buy one new and pay $350 or whatever. I got mine from the Sharper Image Auction/Refurb area. Paid like $150 and had the full warranty on it. Best thing to do is go to a local SI store if you have one, buy it. Use it for 30 days and return it. Then if you want to keep it, get it online for cheaper. That's what I did.</end quote></div>

LOL

wnangle

Mar 14, 2007
I purchased one off of ebay about 2 years ago. It was brand new from a Ionic Breeze dealer. It arrived broke. I called Sharper Image and they sent me a UPS pickup label to send it back free. Within about 7 to 10 days, Sharper Image sent me not only a brand new one, but a current model one. We have been using this daily without any problems. We use this in a 20 x 20 foot room on high all the time. It gives a thunderstorm ozone type of smell which I like. I clean it about every 2 weeks. It collects lots of dust on its collector panels. Yes, I feel that I paid too much for it, even though i purchased it discounted on Ebay. You can find these machines at garage sales, ebay, and other places. Yes, some people don't like the smell of ozone (I do), and some people prefer to pay for filters every month or two, (I don't). So, it is up to you what you like.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

Does that mean the other 1% are zombies? *prepares to whack 1% of the people against suicide with a baseball bat*

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: waggy
I bet 99% of the people bitching that suicide sucks have never done it either.</end quote></div>

Does that mean the other 1% are zombies? *prepares to whack 1% of the people against suicide with a baseball bat*

could be..or maybe its just 1% are successfull (no idea what the real percentage are)!?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Pacemaker
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: V00DOO
Don't waste your money. I have one collecting dust.</end quote></div>

Isn't that what it's supposed to do?

ROFL :laugh:

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
I had one for a year before I deemed it ineffective. For starters, it made my room smell like ozone. Two, it doesn't push any air so it hardly filters anything. Three, it was really annoying to clean because you actually have to wipe all the dust (defeating the purpose) off, kinda of like those bagless vacs. Plus, u'd have to close your door to prevent more contaminantts from getting in. If the damn thing just filters what passes by (although it does push a very very small amount of air, VERY SMALL!), how is it going to keep up with the constant flux of air.

I sold it on ebay and got a filter that had a motor, and lifetime hepa filter from target for 130 bucks with 20 dollar gift card. This thing pushes some serious air and my room smells clean, not like ozone. I hardly ever have to clean it, I just have to replace the prefilter (usually twice a year, cheap). To clean the filter I just vacuum it and that is done like once a year so far......Plus, the thing is pretty silent on it's lowest setting but yet pushes out a good amount of air. WHen I get home I'll give you the model number. I got a honeywell model.

I suggest you get a real purifier, not some gimmick. Even still, if you leave a window open, you don't need a purifier because it'll just keep just introducing "unfiltered" air into your room.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kelemvor

But I wouldn't buy one new and pay $350 or whatever. I got mine from the Sharper Image Auction/Refurb area. Paid like $150 and had the full warranty on it. Best thing to do is go to a local SI store if you have one, buy it. Use it for 30 days and return it. Then if you want to keep it, get it online for cheaper. That's what I did.</end quote></div>

It works great? How? I can easily say that a cardboard box is a great home too. If you're basing the fact that it works great on how much dust you get on you're paper towel when you wipe it then I'll sell you my PS3.

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
They clean air, are almost silent, and use very little electricity. However they also produce ozone (although how toxic this is, I'm not sure), they don't clean air all that well compared to other air filters, and are very expensive.