Invisalign

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
I've had braces in the past but over the past couple years a couple teeth in front have started to turn inward. I'm thinking of trying Invisalign to get them corrected. Has anyone had good luck using Invisalign???

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Yes, I had excellent results with invisalign.

You should try an invisalign consultation. When they take impressions of your teeth to send to the invisalign lab, invisalign will send them a 3D result of what you can anticipate your teeth to look like at the end of treatment. It's pretty cool.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Josh123
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats

How long did it take and do you remember the cost?

It was a while ago, but it was between 3,000 - 3,500. I went to consultations at several places to find that price though. However, of course, finding a competent dentist is of foremost importance. It took me 3 years, but my teeth were pretty bad.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Josh123

How long did it take and do you remember the cost?

It was a while ago, but it was between 3,000 - 3,500. I went to consultations at several places to find that price though. However, of course, finding a competent dentist is of foremost importance. It took me 3 years, but my teeth were pretty bad.

Well I wouldn't expect to need much work done since I've already had braces and it's only my top teeth. I searched for orthodontists that use Invisalign and there is only two that are some what close.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
Don't you have to wear retainers after you take braces off for like ever to prevent teeth from shifting?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I just had a consultation. My two top front teeth are separating a bit. I could go with a retainer 4-6 months of wearing for around $1k. Or Invisalign for 8-10 months for $3.5k ($300 for records, $1500 down payment and then 10 payments of $170). Invisalign would include a lower brace to realign the bottom teeth b/c the top teeth would be moving and cause issues if they weren't moved. If I did just the top, the cost would only be reduced by $500 b/c of the cost to send it to the lab for analysis is the same no matter.

Retainer - cheaper, but ugly and would cause me to talk differently

Invisalign - nearly invisible, costs a ton more, wouldn't impede my speech but would have to wear it much longer

I'm leaning toward the ugly retainer.

After either solution, I would still have to either wear a retainer or night guard (another $600).

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: darkamulets
Don't you have to wear retainers after you take braces off for like ever to prevent teeth from shifting?

That was going to be my question.

If you're too lazy to wear your retainers ask to have a cemented lingual wire placed.

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: moshquerade

If you're too lazy to wear your retainers ask to have a cemented lingual wire placed.

wait wait wait wait

So everyone who gets braces has to wear a fscking retainer the rest of their lives afterwards, or get an f'ing bar put in their mouth???

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
Originally posted by: moshquerade

wait wait wait wait

So everyone who gets braces has to wear a fscking retainer the rest of their lives afterwards, or get an f'ing bar put in their mouth???
you wear the retainer less and less as time goes on, but teeth do tend to want to shift so this keeps them in check.

eventually you wear the retainer just at night and then every other night.. and then a few times a week.

Here is the permanent one I was speaking of. no one sees it, and it just goes behind your anterior teeth. it keeps those teeth nice and straight.
you do have to use a threader to floss under it though.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
I'm not a dentist by any stretch but I have managed to keep my teeth cavity free for 23 years although I do have a snaggle tooth. When I asked the dentist told me if I were to fix it with braces I would have to fix the lower tooth aswell and mentioned retainer bit to me.

Mikey

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2006
Originally posted by: jagga
How much more is 'invisalign' as compared to regular metal braces? like 2x more??

Almost, but it's still not as good as braces. Invisalign can only do so much. It will not rotate or shift your teeth into the correct position if it is too misaligned. But, it's great for straightening teeth if your teeth are not too bad. It just takes a little longer than braces though. All this is from my ortho, btw.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Not everyone can use Invisalign either. It is pretty limited in what it can do compared to metal/ceramic braces. Just go with ceramics or metal, cheaper, faster, better. Visually nobody will really care about your braces after the first week.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TheUnk
Not everyone can use Invisalign either. It is pretty limited in what it can do compared to metal/ceramic braces. Just go with ceramics or metal, cheaper, faster, better. Visually nobody will really care about your braces after the first week.

Girl at work got braces and just complains all the time. She's kind of a drama queen, so I guess its to be expected.

4 separate dentists refused to do invisalign on my teeth, saying they themselves would not be happy with what it could do and would not do it for me. Good anyway since my braces alone cost 4500 (that was also the cheapest quote). Just another 2 years to go...