Inverter Recomendations/Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Looking for a cigarette lighter inverter for running laptop/dvd player on a road trip. Not planning to get a full sine, just a regular one. No particular budget constraints. Want to know if anyone here used one before without experiencing BSOD. Any perticular make/model that generally known for their good quality and smooth functioning. Anyone's friend/family even actually used one...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i got a cheap one at fry's and had no issues running my laptop off it.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Just make sure you get one that is rated for continious use, not peak. So if you will need 200watts then get one with at least 25% ability to cover that, 250watts/500watts peak.

The ones I have used were from harbor freight or other no name ones. The "name brand" ones seemed to be the same just with a different sticker.

And lastly make sure your car can handle that. A lot of cars cig Lighters can;t do more then a couple hundred watts and the inverter needs to be hooked up to the battery.

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
Just got one from Walmart for like $30 a few years ago before a roadtrip.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i cant remember what brand mine is, but it handled my laptop at 90w for up to 6 hours at a time with no issues. i had to start my truck once in a while to keep the battery up tho. it was an on sale thing at frys elec about 4 years ago. the cooling fan went out and its goiing out now, but it still works for like half an houor at a time. i cant use it for my new lappy anyway, its 135w nom so im going to get a bigger one installed to the battery direct

Status
Not open for further replies.