Interviewing with other companies if I already signed an offer to join another...

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here's the situation: I iterned at a company (called ABC), and they want me to come back to work there full-time next year. I'm pretty satisfied with the position, and the money with ABC - so i've already signed the offer letter.

At school, there's an opportunity to interview with several large companies for IT related positions.

a) would it be ok to interview for other positions even though i already signed with ABC?

b) if i do get an offer, would it be possible to re-negotiate my salary with ABC even though i already signed? And would it make me look bad with ABC if i tried to?

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Signing an offer a year in advance is generally not the best idea.
Interviewing is probably not a problem, but I don't think you can use another offer to leverage ABC, you've already signed the offer. Definitely not set in stone though.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
is your only reason for interviewing with other companies to re-negotiate your salary or do you have a genuine interest in seeking employment elsewhere?
It'll be hard to re-negotiate your salary since you already signed the offer letter... you could rescind your acceptance but it'll look bad with ABC.
I'm in a similar boat. If I obtain a full time position elsewhere, I have to call the place I interned at and tell them I won't be joining them.