Interviewing after already accepting a job offer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
it doesn't even hurt to interview post getting the job.

If a better offer is made always give your current employer a shot, but in all fairness your time is a commodity and should go to the best offer for it.

Keep in mind the best offer isn't always measured in dollars.

I agree completely. Remember, it's your time and your life. When it comes to employment, do what is best for you.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Well I interviewed with the company and it turned out well. I will hear from them at the end of week. While I was writing the thank you email I noticed I got another email from a recruiter from another company. I can't believe I didn't get any replies or interviews for 2-3 months when I was sending out my resumes and now I get one every other week.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Update: Last week I get an email stating the position was put on hold. :(

Today I get an offer from an engineering contractor firm for that position. :)

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
So here's my dilemma:

Now this new position is for a 3-6 month engineering contractor position. I assume this is standard for these big companies to hire temp workers to try out then hire full time. It basically pays 1.5x more than my other position but I will be joining a highly risky experimental department with limited funding and basically the project's success will depend heavily on me. Another perk is the company is near my mom's residence so I could move back in and save on rent.

My other position is a relatively stable 2-3 year project, I will be mentored and learn alot of valuable skillsets for future job advancement but I will be paid less. Another perk is that I would be near my gf but I would also be paying for rent.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
So here's my dilemma:

Now this new position is for a 3-6 month engineering contractor position. I assume this is standard for these big companies to hire temp workers to try out then hire full time. It basically pays 1.5x more than my other position but I will be joining a highly risky experimental department with limited funding and basically the project's success will depend heavily on me. Another perk is the company is near my mom's residence so I could move back in and save on rent.

My other position is a relatively stable 2-3 year project, I will be mentored and learn alot of valuable skillsets for future job advancement but I will be paid less. Another perk is that I would be near my gf but I would also be paying for rent.

use that engineering brain to think. Look at the market....guaranteed 2 year job where you get mentoring vs might kicked out in 6 months with no mentoring.

BTW....most big companies like Raytheon do not hire temp to perm.

Also, you get 1.5 times more because contractors get no benefits.

Last edited: