Interview, Rasterman - E17

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I figured I'd throw this up here. There's nothing terribly new, but it might get someone interested in trying E17. It's a great little window manager that has no parallel in the GNU/Linux world. It's ideal for low powered machines as it uses few resources, but still has a lot of eye candy if desired. It's look is distinct, and not to everyone's preference, but that makes it even more worth trying imo.

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Seeking-Enlightenment-1739812.html

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
E16 was awesome and I ran it for many years. But while E17 looks good on paper, it wasn't a smooth transition and I just couldn't get it to work how I wanted. There was something with multiple monitors that I didn't have time to work around, but I can't remember what it was now.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
E16 was awesome and I ran it for many years.

I remembered you said that before. Do you no longer use E16? If not, what did you switch to?

I have a fairly short list of desktops I like. Xfce is my main desk, but I also like E17 and openbox. Against everything I've done in the past, I've been considering KDE. I've been using that a bit on Backtrack, and it isn't too bad. My biggest problem with that is the weight, and the configuration. There's a lot going on, and much of t I don't care about. It's just stuff that adds confusion, and fattens menus.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I remembered you said that before. Do you no longer use E16? If not, what did you switch to?

I have a fairly short list of desktops I like. Xfce is my main desk, but I also like E17 and openbox. Against everything I've done in the past, I've been considering KDE. I've been using that a bit on Backtrack, and it isn't too bad. My biggest problem with that is the weight, and the configuration. There's a lot going on, and much of t I don't care about. It's just stuff that adds confusion, and fattens menus.

Pretty much the same. I'm running XFCE here too now. I've wanted to like E17 and OpenBox but could never get them to feel quite right. And KDE seems cool for about 10 minutes until I get inundated with options that don't affect anything I want.

hf2046

Sep 23, 2011
I run E17 in Slackware64 - a great WM, but with a few issues.

Lately it's the case of the disappearing widgets - whenever I have to restart X, the clock, cpufreq, and volume widgets disappear off my desktop. When I go into settings to add one of them back, then they all show up.

This, of course, only happens on the laptop, not the desktop machine.

So... keeping my fingers crossed that the real release will be a little more solid.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
After 12 years of development, E17 has a release date. We'll see... :^D

gH281.jpg

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Hopefully having a real release date will mean an E18 coming along. E17 suffered from a critical timing problem, when Rasterman wasn't working on it. Qt got to be quite efficient in that time, and took a lot of E17's thunder.

Edit: oh, I see what you did there...d'oh! :oops:

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Hopefully having a real release date will mean an E18 coming along. E17 suffered from a critical timing problem, when Rasterman wasn't working on it. Qt got to be quite efficient in that time, and took a lot of E17's thunder.

Edit: oh, I see what you did there...d'oh! :oops:

I didn't do anything. That's an official release date, and an official graphic from the Linuxcon presentation in Spain :^D

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I didn't do anything. That's an official release date, and an official graphic from the Linuxcon presentation in Spain :^D
Wait, what? It's going from DR to alpha to release in just two months? And their own website doesn't even have it as news...

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Wait, what? It's going from DR to alpha to release in just two months? And their own website doesn't even have it as news...

Sounds very similar to most commercial release cycles. Even with Windows, MS just randomly slaps RC on a build and releases it for testing and then another random release is labeled RTM regardless of whether or not changes were made between the last RC.

jimmybgood9

Sep 6, 2012
I'm going on a diet and start working out when:

Hell freezes over (still safe)
Pigs fly (still safe)
E17 gets released (uh-oh)

hf2046

Sep 23, 2011
I'm on the Alpha release right now. Much more stable than all the dev releases leading up to it. Haven't experienced a segfault yet. Composite / software rendering all very snappy.

I don't really use the file manager all too much, so I can't comment on that.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I'm currently using the alpha three release.

+1 For the new theme. It's not as garish as the old one.

-1 For the black screen when you enable Opengl compositing.

hf2046

Sep 23, 2011
-1 For the black screen when you enable Opengl compositing.

Did you try OpenGL compositing without 'Texture from pixmap' enabled? It's under the Advanced composite module settings. Might work.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Did you try OpenGL compositing without 'Texture from pixmap' enabled? It's under the Advanced composite module settings. Might work.
I initially fixed that problem by compiling evas with Opengl ES support. It was fixed upstream in Alpha 5 I believe.

There's one thing about Elementary 17 or rather its default theme. My laptop screen has an after image of the top of the taskbar after using it. I went back to GNOME 3 after that. :/

hf2046

Sep 23, 2011
I initially fixed that problem by compiling evas with Opengl ES support. It was fixed upstream in Alpha 5 I believe.

There's one thing about Elementary 17 or rather its default theme. My laptop screen has an after image of the top of the taskbar after using it. I went back to GNOME 3 after that. :/

I had a similar issue - but it was due to dithering settings being enabled in nvidia-settings (display would flicker, after images switching desktops) using the NVIDIA blob. Guess my video card / display combination didn't like that too much.

Software rendering is pretty fast. I've had it enabled in the past by accident and it took me a while to figure out that it wasn't OpenGL.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I had a similar issue - but it was due to dithering settings being enabled in nvidia-settings (display would flicker, after images switching desktops) using the NVIDIA blob. Guess my video card / display combination didn't like that too much.

Software rendering is pretty fast. I've had it enabled in the past by accident and it took me a while to figure out that it wasn't OpenGL.
What I'm talking about is more like temporary burn-in. It was gone after a few hours, but since then I've been a bit nervous using e17 because i don't want the burn-in to be permanent.

hf2046

Sep 23, 2011
What I'm talking about is more like temporary burn-in. It was gone after a few hours, but since then I've been a bit nervous using e17 because i don't want the burn-in to be permanent.

Oh... ouch. Haven't had an experience like that on any build of E17...