Interview question

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Is it ok in an interview to ask how many other candidates there are for a position?

Is it ok to take notes during an interview?

L

Lola

Originally posted by: cyclistca
Is it ok in an interview to ask how many other candidates there are for a position?

I would never ask how many people are interviewing or the like.

Yes, it is very good to take notes. that way, when you have an oppertunity to ask questions, you won't be asking questions on things already covered. It also shows you are wanting to make sure you have "everything" correct.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: cyclistca

I dont think it's any of your business whether or not the company is interviewing other candidates, just as it is none of their business whether or not you are interviewing with other companies.

Taking notes, that is ok, and it's actually something you should do.

JustAnAverageGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 1, 2003
Asking how many others? You could, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Taking notes? I don't see a reason not to as long as it's not disruptive to the interview process itself. Maintain eye contact ;)

- JaAG

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
Not ok to ask about other candidates...

Taking notes: probably not a good idea.. it slows down the interviewer and might piss him off... a lot depends on the job profile though..

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
not a good idea on both counts. maybe it's just me, but taking notes would look too desperate, like you're trying too hard...and if i were the interviewer, i'd think your memory sucks.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
For a developer position:

I'd only expect you to take notes if we were asking you to do a sample project for a follow-up interview (not that we ever have), or if we were negotiating over benefits or other details and you wanted to jot down the numbers to compare to an offer letter.

I wouldn't be surprised to have you show up with a notepad though, just in case.