Interracial Couple Banned From Kentucky Church

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/05/church-reverses-ban-on-interracial-marriages/?hpt=hp_bn2

CNN)–Two weeks ago, Gulnare Free Will Baptist Church in Pike County, Kentucky, voted 9-6 to ban couples in interracial marriages from attending or participating in the church.

But on Sunday, the small church reversed its course.

Pastor Stacy Stepp told CNN affiliate WLEX on Sunday that the church voted unanimously to "accept all people regardless of race, creed, or color and to accept everyone into the fellowship of Christ."

"I tried everything in my power to try to resolve the matter before it got to where it did," Stepp told WLEX.

The problem began in June when Stella Harville, who grew up going to the church, brought her fiance, Ticha Chikuni, who is black, to the small church, where on average about 40 people meet for Sunday worship.

Harville, who goes by the nickname Susie, played the piano, and Chikuni sang a song during the service.

Her father, Dean Harville, a decades-long member of the church, told CNN affiliate WSAZ he was counting the offering when the pastor at the time, Melvin Thompson, came up to him and said, "Susie and her boyfriend are not allowed to sing in this church anymore."

"He said, 'Furthermore, Susie can take her fella back where she found him from,'" Harville said.

That led to the vote on November 27 on a church policy banning interracial couples from attending or participating in services.

"It's racist, that's all you can call it," Harville told WSAZ. "I treat him like he's my own son. You won't find a nicer person," he said about his daughter's fiance, who is originally from Zimbabwe.

so it was reversed. Also her father was not against her dateing him or bringing him to church. sounds like the guy is as shocked as his daughter. Both seem to be thinking if that church is right for them (no. it is not).

heh sounds like the church got a smack down from the higher ups.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Jesus hates Himself?

black-jesus.jpg

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
must all be a lie, according to Canoworms this kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore in the USA

I posted in this thread that this type of stuff is becoming common among Americans with generations of roots. Lots of them are unassimilated into modern American culture.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Did you miss the part where.. ah hell, I'll quote it for you below. Looks like this church is alone, or at the absolute fringe, in that area in regards to not letting interracial couples attend. I don't want to spill your cup of rage, but I think it is highly disenguous to say that Christians are at war against integration. I could be wrong, have not been to a church in probably 30 or more years.

I case you didn't get it I was poking a stick in the eye of the never ending "let's gin up the base" of the Fox News yearly drama the War on Christmas.

If they keep this up it can outlast Charlie Brown and the Grinch.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I posted in this thread that this type of stuff is becoming common among Americans with generations of roots. Lots of them are unassimilated into modern American culture.

Racism is still a problem in the South but it's gradually getting better. The backwoods rural folks still tend to have a problem with interracial couples though.

Jan 25, 2011
I case you didn't get it I was poking a stick in the eye of the never ending "let's gin up the base" of the Fox News yearly drama the War on Christmas.

If they keep this up it can outlast Charlie Brown and the Grinch.

Looks like Fox has changed sides in that war.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1097186--there-is-no-santa-says-fox-tv-host-on-the-air

They took it upon themselves to denounce Santa as a fraud, an imaginary figure cooked up centuries ago.

You could almost hear the collective jaws dropped when Robin Robinson, co-host at Fox TV in the Windy City, declared on Nov. 30 that parents should fess up.

“Stop trying to convince your kids that Santa is Santa. That's why they have these high expectations. They know you can't afford it, so what do they do? Just ask some man in a red suit. There is no Santa,” said a scowling Robinson during a segment on children’s expectations during the holidays.

Touché Fox.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Jesus hates Himself?

Jesus was Jewish...from the Tribe of Judah. He was semetic, not african. Althought last year I did see a VERY nordic looking Jesus. All he needed was a horned helm, an axe, and a shield...

That said, Jesus not not hate black people. :)