Internet security vs anti-virus

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Alright, so I'm a blockhead.

On my new build, my Gigabyte mobo came with Norton Internet Security. Along with that, I use MSE and SAS, and run Spybot once a week, on my W7 system.

It didn't really dawn on me that I was using Norton Internet Security until I tried to put the license key in from Norton AntiVirus. Hmmmm...

Gleaning information from this thread, it appears MSE is a fairly capable AntiVirus program, correct? Do I really need an 'internet security suite', or does MSE and SAS cover that?

I don't really venture too far off the safe internet trail, but I do have a teenage daughter that has the common sense of a rock (she gets it from me) and I need to set her laptop up with something capable, it's running MSE on XP at the moment.

I just don't want to lull myself into thinking I have my bases covered when I don't.

boochi

May 21, 2011
Norton Internet Security contains Norton Antivirus along with a firewall and other nice things. If you have a year subscription to NIS, use that and ditch MSE. If it is a trial and you don't want to pay for a subscription you may want to run MSE with Comodo Free Firewall. I run those two together along with Malwarebytes Pro. If you catch a deal you can get Malwarebytes Pro for ~ $10 and it includes lifetime automatic updates and active protection.

Comodo is arguably the best free firewall out there and is uber customizable.

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Norton Internet Security contains Norton Antivirus along with a firewall and other nice things. If you have a year subscription to NIS, use that and ditch MSE. If it is a trial and you don't want to pay for a subscription you may want to run MSE with Comodo Free Firewall. I run those two together along with Malwarebytes Pro. If you catch a deal you can get Malwarebytes Pro for ~ $10 and it includes lifetime automatic updates and active protection.

Comodo is arguably the best free firewall out there and is uber customizable.

I got Norton AV off Newegg for something like $10 on sale, intending to put the key in when the NIS free trial ran out (that's in 3 days.) I guess I should have researched it better...

Does not MSE have a firewall? Or what about 'Windows Firewall?'

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
MSE does not have a firewall. It will enable the Windows Firewall as a check box option during install. If you have a router with NAT, you technically have a pretty good firewall anyway.
MSE is a great AV/security program. However, nothing beats using your computer safely. No matter how much you try to 'secure' your system, user behaviour can always find a way around it.
Dont download junk, use a secure web browser like chrome, ignore AV warnings from websites, etc.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My ignorance is complete... what is NAT?

Network Address Translation.

Lets you have one public internet IP from your ISP, with a bunch of private internal IP's (192.168.1.x). That is effectively a firewall. A software firewall running on your computer mostly provides protection from other systems that are already on your network.