Internet keeps cutting out - Modem?

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I just got DSL installed at my place. Works great when it works but it keeps cutting out, about once per day. Usually overnight, sometimes at random.

The company sent me this modem/router, a Thompson Speedtouch 585V6. It has a four port router on the back of it. I've got it hooked up to my main router and VOIP box. When the internet goes down, the phone still works (or at least I get a dial tone) but I can't connect to outside servers. So this tells me it's a setting in the modem. Then again I haven't tried to make outside calls when it goes down. Any ideas what's going on here? I'm not too knowledgeable networking.

The ISP is an independent reseller but they use Bell Canada's system.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
It could be due a few reasons.

The ISP may be unreliable and have lots of faults, or the modem is faulty.

Is the VoIP box connected to your router or the modem?

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I'm still having this problem and I've narrowed it down to a handshake issue between the modem and router. The connection times out about once per day, around the the time I last rebooted the modem. Which of course requires another reboot the modem again and it works fine, until the next day.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm still having this problem and I've narrowed it down to a handshake issue between the modem and router. The connection times out about once per day, around the the time I last rebooted the modem. Which of course requires another reboot the modem again and it works fine, until the next day.

Are the DHCP leases set for 24hr? Perhaps it is having trouble renewing the IP lease.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Are the DHCP leases set for 24hr? Perhaps it is having trouble renewing the IP lease.

That's what I'm thinking, but the modem's settings are pretty basic. I didn't see any setting in there for that. Or is this something on the router end?