Internet, Gigabit, and Jumbo Frames

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is the only way to enable Jumbo Frames on your local LAN, and also allow your local LAN internet access, to have a router that supports gigabit ports, AND has a setting for "jumbo frames"?

My understanding is that if you are to enable Jumbo Frames, EVERY device on the LAN (L2 broadcast domain) has to support them.

And that many routers do not support Jumbo Frames.

For the few that do, I assume that they fragment the jumbo frames, to support the internet-standard MTU of 1500.

Edit: This is the switch I'm using. Reviews on Newegg say no jumbo frame support, so I guess my query is moot.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111479

Last edited:

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
The switch needs to support them, otherwise they'll get fragmented even before they leave the PCs. If your router is also your switch, then yes, it needs to support them too. If you have dedicated and separate router and switch then the router will fragment any large frames that pass through it but the switch will allow them if it supports them.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
The switch needs to support them, otherwise they'll get fragmented even before they leave the PCs. If your router is also your switch, then yes, it needs to support them too. If you have dedicated and separate router and switch then the router will fragment any large frames that pass through it but the switch will allow them if it supports them.

So if you are going from NAS to switch then to computer you would be fine. Even if the switch is connected to a router that doesn't do jumbo frames