Question Internet Explorer: anyone here still using it?

SAAA

May 14, 2014
So I've been surfing for the last 20 years on this browser and still don't see to many reasons to switch over.

Ads? I blocked most of them. Manually but it worked, some still show but it's acceptable level. Like some video ads do happen but I tend to ignore sites that display them anyway, I can still add and block those too for future view.

Compatibility issues? Well, for one I think most sites in existence work fine, especially old ones or any government and bank site. Then if some site really shows in a weird manner or has issues I do have both Chrome and Edge installed, so it takes a click to check.

I have seen more and more pop-ups that tell me to use this or that browser, but honestly I find 1e10000 times more annoying the cookie/GDPR thing that's shown everywhere.

PS: for phone I do use Chrome more often but I still have like 5 browsers installed. Mostly to skip annoying sites that limit navigation to a few pages before asking registration.

So what's your opinion? What browser do you use the most, what makes you use it rather than any other?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
IE became pretty unstable for me, and more and more sites started locking up on it. I've switched to Firefox exclusively; with the addons I've got it takes most of the trouble out of the worst sites.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I don't think anybody should use it for a daily driver browser. The alternatives are so much better in every way. Compatibility? Chrome. Privacy? Firefox. Customizability? Vivaldi.

I don't use IE, unless I'm forced to. I know some who still do though. Which results in more and more sites not working properly. Getting them to switch at this point is a hopeless cause, unless MS forcibly removes it. They just won't do it.

I'm actually surprised how well it still works. I'd have thought compatibility was worse. But it is getting worse.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
MS has even said to stop using IE! IE is a compatibility and security nightmare IMO.

Especially since the new Edge came out which supposedly has an IE compatibility mode at least in enterprise, I would definitely not use IE any more unless you Absolutely have to!

I'm mainly a Firefox user, but the new Edge is pretty good as secondary for me.

FYI -

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using it as your default

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Firefox with Noscript, ublock Origin and Firefox Multi-Account Containers add-ons installed for security, adblocking and privacy. When I can't get a site to work like Walgreens I use Chrome. I maybe fire up IE twice a year if I can't get a site to work. I believe I have to use IE for Origin.com and Ubisoft / Uplay since they are super picky and I can't get them to work with Firefox.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have been using IE11. Worked perfectly for me, especially Favorites Bar. But, I now have changed. Tried Chrome and Firefox, and did not like them. Tried the new Edge and it installed and auto setup my faves bar. Great! That's where I will stay.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Do those sites work in the new Edge? May be worth a try!

Firefox with Noscript, ublock Origin and Firefox Multi-Account Containers add-ons installed for security, adblocking and privacy. When I can't get a site to work like Walgreens I use Chrome. I maybe fire up IE twice a year if I can't get a site to work. I believe I have to use IE for Origin.com and Ubisoft / Uplay since they are super picky and I can't get them to work with Firefox.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Do those sites work in the new Edge? May be worth a try!
I'm not sure. I'll try next time I need to log in. Luckily they aren't needed very often.

Walgreens seems to work fine with edge. Also strange that Firefox works fine now. I know for sure it didn't in the past since I remember Ketchup having the same issue back in 2017.

SAAA

May 14, 2014
As Microsoft moves Edge to the chromium route I feel like diversity dies off. It will be either that or Firefox, btw I'm surprised by how many use it here: maybe I'll consider it too as daily driver.

I need explorer to stay around for really old sites I still visit from time to time, some have features (now obsolete) that run only inside IE. Messing with the html I managed to make certain work inside Chrome or Edge locally, but it's blatant they were cut out for some "better" alternative.

Who knows how many sites are still there, made 10-20 years ago that haven't been retouched for years, and were only ever tested inside IE...

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
So I've been surfing for the last 20 years on this browser and still don't see to many reasons to switch over.

Ads? I blocked most of them. Manually but it worked, some still show but it's acceptable level. Like some video ads do happen but I tend to ignore sites that display them anyway, I can still add and block those too for future view.

Compatibility issues? Well, for one I think most sites in existence work fine, especially old ones or any government and bank site. Then if some site really shows in a weird manner or has issues I do have both Chrome and Edge installed, so it takes a click to check.

I have seen more and more pop-ups that tell me to use this or that browser, but honestly I find 1e10000 times more annoying the cookie/GDPR thing that's shown everywhere.

PS: for phone I do use Chrome more often but I still have like 5 browsers installed. Mostly to skip annoying sites that limit navigation to a few pages before asking registration.

So what's your opinion? What browser do you use the most, what makes you use it rather than any other?
As a full stack dev I sincerely hope that you will stop using IE right now. It's outdated, buggy (pretty broken on Windows 10) and makes my life much harder. Though, these days I've stopped giving a damn about IE11 (while technically I don't use things that shouldn't work or totally break the experience, I don't really care anymore if things look somewhat broken). Chromium Edge is much, much better.

I don't have it installed on my home PC.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Chrome personally. Internet Explore at work because my employer still using windows 7 and have admin protocols in place so I can't install a different browser.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I don't recall the last time I used IE, but I know it was at work. I use Chrome with abp mostly, but I've been trying Edge. Edge is very much like Chrome.

Engineer.AI

Mar 3, 2020
I really have a hard time reconciling with anybody who willfully promotes MS Explorer as their primary browsing tool. Firefox is good, in the sense it does not send user data ad verbatim to a major market conglomerate like MICROSOFT, or GOOGLE (through chrome).
~Engineer.AI

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I think you are confusing Windows Explorer with Internet Explorer. Windows Explorer is a file manager, not a browser.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Surprised at so many FF users. They made a comeback, huh!?

Someone tell me why FF is better than Chrome?

I only have Ublock Origin installed on Chrome for no ads. How can my life be improved?

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Surprised at so many FF users. They made a comeback, huh!?

Someone tell me why FF is better than Chrome?

I only have Ublock Origin installed on Chrome for no ads. How can my life be improved?

Try hosts blocking if you are tired of ads: faster and more reliable than any adblocker, works for all browser and apps too.
There's a few sites that update it regularly, it's just a matter of editing a text file after you get the list.

As for the comeback of FF... sure looks like it. Other polls on the web show the opposite, but here we have a community of geeks… it's expected!?

Lespiritdecorpse

Mar 20, 2020
The only time I have ever used IE in the last couple of years is when I need to download Firefox and Chrome on a fresh install. The last couple of times, I used Edge if I remember correctly.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Using Opera GX here, yeah its gimmicky but miles faster then Chrome. I did some side by side runs of pages and it sure makes Chrome look slow and dated in comparison. I used Chrome for years before this. Never again prob. Also Opera has some handy features like if you highlight something to right click and copy when you do this, it auto asks to search or copy. Such a small thing i use often is so much better then doing the entire deal on Chrome.