Internet Explorer 9 - Uninstalled and can't reinstall

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
Hi guys, I was just at my parents house and tried to log onto a site and it said the browser was out of date. They had Internet Explorer 9 on a Win7 64 machine, so i figured something got corrupted. I uninstalled and went to go reinstall it, and it will always fail.

I tried downloading the seperate install file vs windows update, when installing I tried with a restart vs no restart, I ended every task that wasn't microsoft or windows related, even tried in safe mode and still failed. I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and I even uninstalled that. I can't seem to crack this one. The Windows Update error is 3715 and I can't find a fix through google.

Anyone else have this problem and/or fixed it? I downloaded Firefox for them to use in the meantime and changing anything from the normal routine is a headache for them so I'd like to get IE back working.

All suggestions highly appreciated! Thanks!

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Maybe it's a sign from the gods to not install that crappy browser!

Firefox FTW

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Better run a full depth malware scan.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Have you run System File Checker (i.e. SFC /scannow as admin) to make sure there are no damaged files?

Oct 4, 2004
Hmm, I think I recollect a similar issue from a friend's computer. He tried downloading via Windows Update and it would fail every single time.

It however worked using the Offline Installer.

Is that the same file that you tried?

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
Hmm, I think I recollect a similar issue from a friend's computer. He tried downloading via Windows Update and it would fail every single time.

It however worked using the Offline Installer.

Is that the same file that you tried?

Yeah thats the same one...the only thing i forgot to try is the System file checker and if nothing comes up i'll try the system restore...Will do tomorrow! Thanks Steltek & mechBgon

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
Fixed....I actually uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 from add/remove programs "windows features", rebooted and used the full install of IE9. Installed without a hitch.