Internet and the "Third Place". Anonymous poll takers needed.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I'm writing a paper on the third place and one of the sections I'm covering is the internet as a third place. A third place is a place away from home or work that one can go to "hang out". In England for example this would be the bars and pubs.
Our argument in class was that the problem with the internet as the third place was that it excluded the lower class and not many upper class people posted on internet forums. I want to find out if this is true or if that's wrong.
What I'm asking is if people can honestly answer the poll of their income level (lower, middle, upper class) and age group (<21, 21-64, 65+)
I plan to put the results in my paper to prove or disprove this and need your help.
Thanks! :)

Edits: If you still live at home or are in college, use your parent's financial class.
Also please feel free to bump or comment on this thread. The more people that vote on it the more accurate it'll be.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Enh, I'd rather people who are in college (Note: Attending full time, not people who live on their own while working full time and going to college part time) or living at home would list their parent's income class. The reason is that people were raised in this income class and have lived their life from that view.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Wow, I'm suprised and yet not suprised at the results so far. I expected middle class to be the largest group here but I was thinking that the upper class income group would be higher than the lower class income group.
Keep voting. The more votes the more accurate the results are. :)

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I think upper class tends to vary. Someone who makes 80,000 a year but lives in an expensive city such as NYC or San Francisco will probably be considered middle class. Someone making the same amount in some midwest area where a huge mansion that would be over $1 million in an expensive area, but goes for $200,000 there, will probably be considered upper class.