Intermittent Problem Booting Windows

JG

Dec 22, 1999
I've got a new KT7-Raid and Duron 600. I have intermittent problems booting into Win 98 -- it will hang at the Windows login screen with a discolored green bar across the top.

The problem is no more frequent when the Duron is running at 600 than at 950 or when I'm running my Micron PC133 RAM at 100 or 133. If I reboot enough times, it will usually boot fine. Once I'm in, it runs rock steady at all speeds up to 950.

I thought it might be a power supply issue, so I replaced my generic 250 watt PS with a new 300 watt PC Power & Cooling supply. But I still have intermittent problems. Could I still not have enough power? I'm running 2 3.5 inch hard drives, a GEForce 2 MX video card, SB Live Value, a firewire card, and 128 megs of memory. The processor core is hard modded to be 1.8 volts.

Thanks.

:confused:

JG

Dec 22, 1999
Thanks -- outstanding suggestion. Here's what the FAQ says:

Q. Windows 9x locks up just before the startup sound, and a thin green line appears across the top of the screen. How can I fix it?

This seems to be caused by the Backup utility supplied with Windows 9x attempting to detect new tape devices on boot. You can fix it by
renaming the files drvwppqt.vxd and drvwq117.vxd in the Windows\System\Iosubsys directory. If you find this causes your tape drive to stop working, you'll have to rename the files back. You can safely delete the files if you don't have a tape drive or don't get problems.

Make sure that VSYNC is enabled in the NVIDIA control panel.

Another possible fix is to simply disable the startup sound.