interference or non-interference engine

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Anybody have a link to a website that can tell me if an engine is interference or non-interference?

Thanks,

Tom

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
If it has VTEC or some similar technology, it's almost certainly going to be interference, if it doesn't it is mostly not going to be. What engine is it and what year/model of car? Maybe I can help you out.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

One way to see if it's interference - cut the timing belt while the engine is running...

I learned that when my timing belt stripped itself on the highway. Turned out to be non-interference :)

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

One way to see if it's interference - cut the timing belt while the engine is running...

I learned that when my timing belt stripped itself on the highway. Turned out to be non-interference :)

That's called learning the hard way?

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

That's called learning the hard way?

Well, if it had turned out to be an interference engine, that would have been really learning the hard way.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Anybody have a link to a website that can tell me if an engine is interference or non-interference?

Thanks,

Tom

What vehicle?

YMM?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
There's not some magic site that tells about all engines and whether they are interference or not.

We need a make, model, etc.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: mwmorph
If it has VTEC or some similar technology, it's almost certainly going to be interference, if it doesn't it is mostly not going to be. What engine is it and what year/model of car? Maybe I can help you out.

Piles and piles of engines are interference engines, VTEC or no.

Need to know the engine model to tell for sure.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
There's not some magic site that tells about all engines and whether they are interference or not.

O RLY?

IIRC, most modern engines are interference engines. The only really common non-interference engine I can think of is the old Mazda "B" engine used in 323s, 626s, and Miatas for many years.