Interesting Website RE:Outsourcing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Frdm51472
Shrug, I dont agree with what they tried to do, but we must agree that you had a lapse in judgement or were just new to the field when you did it, because what you did was not only abusing your employers trust and budget, but abusing the taxpayers of this entire state.

His only lapse in judgement was trusting his boss in the State of Georgia.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Sorry the thread got off it's base Isla, here is Outsourcing News from retired Intel founder Andy Grove.

10-10-2003 Andy Grove lashes out at Outsourcing, Patent insanity and slow speed Internet in U.S.

Grove acknowledged under questioning that the tech industry itself is responsible for numerous jobs leaving the United States, as firms take advantage of considerably cheaper labor costs in India and elsewhere.

Grove chided U.S. policymakers for all but ignoring the problem.

"What is the U.S. public policy?" he asked. "I am hard put to find a document" outlining a policy strategy.

He said he had detected no recognition of the problem from any of the presidential candidates.

He said that the inability of patent examiners to handle the workload has led to a backlog of important applications, but also less than thorough vetting of patents that perhaps should not be granted.

Grove also said the country lags dangerously behind in popular use of high-speed Internet connections, funding for science and technology research, and education.

Andy Grove Speaks out on Offshore Outsourcing
Andy Grove, of Intel fame, "spoke out" at a recent technology summit in Washington about the current trend towards offshore outsourcing and how it's causing the US to slowly but surely lose its edge in the tech sector. He states plainly that the US government must step in to restore balance between the need for profits and the lure of offshore outsourcing. There are also pokes at the patent system and slow adoption of broadband internet access. An interesting insight into what's going on inside the heads of the US's tech leaders."

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Not a problem, dmcowen. I'm sorry that you have to deal with being judged, especially when the issue isn't (and shouldn't be) a personal one. But that's the nature of forums for you! :p

As I said before... plenty of people who haven't made mistakes at work---unintentional or otherwise--- are living as though they are on some kind of career death row these days.

This is a difficult issue for me because I sympathize with those in India who appreciate these jobs and have families to feed. But this isn't about helping others... this is about big companies and unrestrained greed.

:(

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Isla
Not a problem, dmcowen. I'm sorry that you have to deal with being judged, especially when the issue isn't (and shouldn't be) a personal one. But that's the nature of forums for you! :p

As I said before... plenty of people who haven't made mistakes at work---unintentional or otherwise--- are living as though they are on some kind of career death row these days.

This is a difficult issue for me because I sympathize with those in India who appreciate these jobs and have families to feed. But this isn't about helping others... this is about big companies and unrestrained greed.

:(

No problem, actually the guy was actually very civil compared to others.

You should not feel any need to sympathize. Companies in India should actually be Indian Companies, not American Companies masquerading as an Indian Company.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
10-13-2003 Bank of America to step up outsourcing to India

All of these Companies doing this should have to give up their U.S. Article of Incorporation as they are only an American Company on paper with a skeletal crew of people at the much smaller HQ's building in the U.S.

"The bank, which has already outsourced a number of jobs to emerging markets, will set up a subsidiary in India next April, spokeswomen Elisabeth Woods said on Monday."

Subsidiary my butt, more like the other way around that what is left in the U.S. is the subsidiary.

EDIT: I looked through the BoA site and do not see this "Press Release", this may be a spoof but many Companies are in fact doing this practice.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
this sh*t is happening everywhere.

Ford announced to cut 3000 jobs in Belgium. They are to "expensive".

linky

they are moving the jobs to Thailand

linky

it's also clear that the big corps don't give a sh*t about agreements and contracts.
give them a 50+ million euro tax break and when they got the money they kick you in the back. They f*ck you twice !!

Extract from the 1st link.->

After the day-long strike, Dewitte wrote a public letter pointing out that Ford had signed two contracts. Ford made an agreement with the unions on Oct. 23, 2002, pledging to keep all the jobs at Genk intact until 2006. Also, in return for tax and other breaks of 53 million Euros ($62 million) from the Flemish authorities, Ford promised to invest 900 million Euros ($1.05 billion) in the region. Dewitte noted that by breaking these contracts Ford was breaking the law. He called on the Belgian and regional Flemish governments and courts to hold Ford to the agreements.