Interesting the generalizations people are willing to make of the new President elect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
God, people.

First, IQ is in medians, not averages, and by its very definition the median is 100; half the population is above that, half is below. Beyond that we have standard deviations. The average may be 95 or 105, I don't know, but if your IQ is 101 you're in the top half; 99 bottom half.

Obama's IQ is much higher than the average Joe. In fact, a person who sees him speak and debate and comes away with any other conclusion is probably two standard deviations below the median :)

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
God, people.

First, IQ is in medians, not averages, and by its very definition the median is 100; half the population is above that, half is below. Beyond that we have standard deviations. The average may be 95 or 105, I don't know, but if your IQ is 101 you're in the top half; 99 bottom half.

Obama's IQ is much higher than the average Joe. In fact, a person who sees him speak and debate and comes away with any other conclusion is probably two standard deviations below the median :)

But Skoorb, putting Bush and Palin aside, cannot one say much the same for many politicians? are we to assume they are all of a high IQ...

Again, really not my original point...but rather that this guy was saying with such certanty, as if he had seen real documented proof...and then when called on it he was like a deer in headlights with the umms and ahhs...

Comanche

May 8, 2005
For anyone interested, IQ doesn't mean squat. You can have a person who tests in the genious range and can't tie his shoe laces. You can have a person who qualifies in the below average range who makes oodles and oodles of money.

It doesn't matter how smart the president is, what matters is what he does in office. Jimmy Carter by no means was stupid, but history is not going to remember him.

What I don't like about all this is:
"Obama is going to take care of my house payment"
"Obama is going to take care of my gas payment"
"Obama is the one"
"We need a holiday for President Obama"

The hype is so far out it is funny. He hasn't even been in office for one day yet, and won't be for another 2 month, and he is the second coming. I wish the folks who have put him on a pedistal would get a grip and realize, right now, he is just another person who has been elected to the presidency of the United State. Nothing more, nothing less.

Only time will tell if he is going to be a good president.

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: JS80
Then why doesn't he release it? Why doesn't he release his SAT score?

My guess is that it sucked, and sucked big time. Remember, he only got into Occidental college, a 5th rate liberal arts private school in the Los Angeles area. I would not be surprised if he got into Harvard Law through affirmative action.

Funny how no one mentions this, that he transferred out of Occidental and into Columbia, IMHO alot different, and alot easier than being accepted into Columbia straight out of HS. Harvard Law is impressive, but its no Yale....

My point wasn't so much his IQ or his Education, but rather I am amazed at how willing people or rather his faithful are to build him up without any really evidence to support the claim...and what is even worse is the guy in this case is supposed to be an expert on the subject of presidential history...listening to the interview really made me shake my head at the amount of pure bias and preference there seems to be...on both sides.

Yes transferring is rare and difficult. In regards to JS80's post, we don't know how he got into Harvard but you don't become Editor of the Harvard Law Review through affirmative action.

I think Harvard Law is as impressive as Yale.

Building anything up without evidence is ridiculous but if I was a betting man, I would bet his SAT score is higher than the pitiful ~1140 or so that Bush/Kerry scored. IIRC, Bush's was 10 points higher.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Don't forget, you have to be intelligent yourself to recognize that trait in others.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
So wait now the Party of Anti-Intellectuals cares about Obama's intelligence?

I told you all to just keep quiet and stop embarrassing yourselves, you just don't listen. You keep on diggin that hole a lil' deeper Conservatives. Pretty soon there will be no daylight left.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: thirtythree
Yeah, I bet he graduated Magna Cum Laude through affirmative action too. He seems intelligent enough to get into Harvard to me.

Putting the honors aside I am curious as to why he seems intelligent enough, or is it simply because he is articulate and can carry himself well? again I remember the same arguments for kerry back during his race only to discover that his grades were near horrible.

I am all for giving credit where it is due, but for someone with such a short tenure as Obama, and no documented proof of anything I am hard pressed to say that for certain the guy is the next Stephen Hawking

I think you would have to be a pretty intelligent guy to become president of the Harvard Law Review and professor of Constitutional Law at one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

I also think you are grasping at straws.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Compared to the daily information overload generated by the election, there in not much to talk about now. So writers are talking about crap like IQ and Gov Palin.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: thirtythree
Nowhere on the Internet can anyone locate Obama's IQ score. His college transcript from Harvard is not available and I cannot locate his GPA, his SAT score or his LSAT score or any other tangible proofs of his IQ score.

Proof that the author does not have a very high IQ score.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Comanche
For anyone interested, IQ doesn't mean squat. You can have a person who tests in the genious range and can't tie his shoe laces. You can have a person who qualifies in the below average range who makes oodles and oodles of money.

iq test is pretty well correlated to all sort of indicators of success. High IQ might not be a good predictor of future success, but low iq is a very good predictor of a lack of future success. You don't see many below average intelligence people reaching the top echelons of anything, really.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Comanche

iq test is pretty well correlated to all sort of indicators of success. High IQ might not be a good predictor of future success, but low iq is a very good predictor of a lack of future success. You don't see many below average intelligence people reaching the top echelons of anything, really.

W