interesting tax question

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
if your permanent residence is in a state with no state income tax (e.g. Texas) and you move to another state that has tax (e.g. Cali or Pennsylvania), and if you don't know how long you're gonna be there (but you'll be working there while you're there), can you avoid paying state income taxes by claiming that your permanent residence is in another state with no state income tax?

i'd be especially interested to hear from the U.S. military crowd or federal government employees since they move around a lot, but others are welcome too.

thankya - chipy

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Most states that have state income tax, have a "part-year" provision in the tax code. If you work there, you are still going to have state taxes withheld from your pay, and you will have to file at the end of the year. Especially if you are going to get a refund.

I've travelled a LOT in construction, often being in a state for only a couple of weeks. I always had to pay state taxes on the monies earned there if they had a state tax.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: mwtgg
Nonresidents. PA law taxes you on the income you earn, receive, or realize from PA sources.

thanx BoomerD for your input.

mwtgg - can you please give me a source for your quote? as it happens, even though i'm working in Pennsylvania, my income is paid by a military activity in Pensacola, FL (not a PA source).

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: chipy
Originally posted by: mwtgg
Nonresidents. PA law taxes you on the income you earn, receive, or realize from PA sources.

thanx BoomerD for your input.

mwtgg - can you please give me a source for your quote? as it happens, even though i'm working in Pennsylvania, my income is paid by a military activity in Pensacola, FL (not a PA source).

Pennsylvania Department of Revenue

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I moved to Texas a few years ago, I've been fighting with the Marines since the day I moved here to stop taking VA state taxes out.

Think an infinite loop of "oh, you're still taking VA state taxes out of my paycheck, lets try to get it fixed this month." "Fill out this paperwork, it'll be fixed next paycheck." "OK thanks." *next paycheck* "oh, you're still taking VA state taxes out of my paycheck, lets try to get it fixed this month..."

Being a reservist, I guess I don't rate all that high on the care-o-meter, but still, after like 3 years of me fighting with them to just change the state they take taxes for you'd think it would have been done by now. I'm about 1.5 years from being done with them, and I'll be trying until the last day to get them to change my friggin home of record for tax purposes.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
military are residents of their "home of record" , so they pay state tax according to the rules for the state they lived in when they entered the service, not the state they are stationed in

but they can change their state of residency however to the state they are currently stationed in if they choose, but they can't change it back

i think, something like that

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
does that home of record rule apply to civil service employees working for the military?

chipy

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
as it happens, even though i'm working in Pennsylvania, my income is paid by a military activity in Pensacola, FL (not a PA source).

it doesn't matter if you are paid from Mars. if you work in PA it is considerd PA sourced and you will need to pay PA tax on it.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
does that home of record rule apply to civil service employees working for the military?

chipy
No

woowoo

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: amish
as it happens, even though i'm working in Pennsylvania, my income is paid by a military activity in Pensacola, FL (not a PA source).

it doesn't matter if you are paid from Mars. if you work in PA it is considerd PA sourced and you will need to pay PA tax on it.

Unless you are in the millitary.....