Interesting take on "Mom of the Year"

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/29/toya-graham-hero-mom_n_7175754.html

<snip>
"Knowing that Graham's primary motivation was to keep her son safe from police violence, would so many white observers have been as sympathetic to the beating she laid out? “Let’s be honest: many white folks are reflexive critics of the greater frequency of corporal punishment in the black community. Witness the media horror at Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson beating his young son,” wrote Joan Walsh in Salon. “If Graham beat her child like that in the aisles of CVS, you can be sure somebody would call CPS.""
</snip>

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
wrote Joan Walsh in Salon. “If Graham beat her child like that in the aisles of CVS, you can be sure somebody would call CPS.""[/I]

If Graham beat her child like that in the aisles of CVS, for trying to steal an item, you can be sure NOBODY would call CPS

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm willing to bet that the "white people" who are critical of physical discipline of children are of the left variety. Right leaners tend to be FOR corporal punishment, and tend be critics of agencies like CPS who won't allow parents to punish their children in the manner they see fit. CPS supporters are the left, who think that all any child needs, no matter how poorly behaved, is a timeout.

OP fail on so many levels.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm willing to bet that the "white people" who are critical of physical discipline of children are of the left variety. Right leaners tend to be FOR corporal punishment, and tend be critics of agencies like CPS who won't allow parents to punish their children in the manner they see fit. CPS supporters are the left, who think that all any child needs, no matter how poorly behaved, is a timeout.

rabblerabble THE LEFT kicked my dog! rabblerabble

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
The problem with hitting kids is that those who do it are generally too generous with their willingness to do it. Certainly if you're hitting a teenager it's because they have no respect for you and you've never developed any other system of leverage. It is, really by any reasonable assessment, a terrible way to control a teenager. It's one thing to slap a 2 year old's bottom because they are throwing a tantrum but if you're hitting a teen you're screwing up.

I almost think that this "mother of the year" stuff is a joke being orchestrated on us.

Mother of the year has half a dozen bastard kids and has to beat one of them in public for joining a riot? Are you fucking serious? I realize life can suck depending on where you start from, but this has to be a joke.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
The problem with hitting kids is that those who do it are generally too generous with their willingness to do it. Certainly if you're hitting a teenager it's because they have no respect for you and you've never developed any other system of leverage. It is, really by any reasonable assessment, a terrible way to control a teenager. It's one thing to slap a 2 year old's bottom because they are throwing a tantrum but if you're hitting a teen you're screwing up.

I almost think that this "mother of the year" stuff is a joke being orchestrated on us.

Mother of the year has half a dozen bastard kids and has to beat one of them in public for joining a riot? Are you fucking serious?

Where is it said she has 6 kids?

as for the BS about physical discipline. I agree far to many use it FAR to often. BUT if used sparingly it works wonders. Its not a fix for every thing the kid does.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Man that author is an idiot. Parents discipline children because they love them and don't want bad things to happen to them. That bad thing may be something bad happening to the child as a logical consequence of bad behavior, or it may be the child becoming a bad person. No parent disciplines solely because the child needs to be morally good; the two motivations go hand in hand and are one and the same. Toya Graham well understands this and in fact touched on both: "Two wrongs don't make a right" and "at the end of the day I just wanted to make sure I had gotten my son home."

Julia Craven did not uncover some mysterious motivation in Toya Graham or in "white America". Julia Craven uncovered yet another indication that Julia Craven is a clueless idiot incapable of even basic understanding of human nature and parental love and responsibility. That does not in any way qualify her to lecture "white America" on who are our heros, it just qualifies her to be comic relief. Suggesting that "white America" should not admire a woman because she wants to keep her son safe shows that this qualification at least is deserved.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
"Reached by HuffPost, Williams said she thinks the mainstream media and white America are living vicariously through Graham &#8220;because she&#8217;s doing something that they wish that they could do to us and to our children.&#8221;

ohhhh my goosh...there it is...us whitey's just love seeing blackie momma beat on her po' blackie kid!!

give me a fvcking break!!

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Man that author is an idiot. Parents discipline children because they love them and don't want bad things to happen to them. That bad thing may be something bad happening to the child as a logical consequence of bad behavior, or it may be the child becoming a bad person. No parent disciplines solely because the child needs to be morally good; the two motivations go hand in hand and are one and the same. Toya Graham well understands this and in fact touched on both: "Two wrongs don't make a right" and "at the end of the day I just wanted to make sure I had gotten my son home."

Julia Craven did not uncover some mysterious motivation in Toya Graham or in "white America". Julia Craven uncovered yet another indication that Julia Craven is a clueless idiot incapable of even basic understanding of human nature and parental love and responsibility. That does not in any way qualify her to lecture "white America" on who are our heros, it just qualifies her to be comic relief. Suggesting that "white America" should not admire a woman because she wants to keep her son safe shows that this qualification at least is deserved.

she's suggesting that the rest of America (White America) isn't qualified to praise a mother for stepping up in a dangerous situation and take care of her business (her son)

She's suggesting that we (White America) secretly want to be the one's beating down her son for acting stupid.

OOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOooooo that gets me angry

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
rabblerabble THE LEFT kicked my dog! rabblerabble

Considering the OP didn't include an opinion, I only surmised that it was just another of his usual "Damn those racist conservatives!" posts. Besides, as we know "white folks" is basically code for "conservatives."

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
she's suggesting that the rest of America (White America) isn't qualified to praise a mother for stepping up in a dangerous situation and take care of her business (her son)

She's suggesting that we (White America) secretly want to be the one's beating down her son for acting stupid.

LOL

she's nuts. I was just happy to see a parent out dragging the child from that situation.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I actually feel some sympathy for that kid now. His mom is a hateful bitch.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I can't actually get angry at someone that stupid. Unless she actually does something destructive (beyond spreading idiocy) I top out at general disgust and derision. lol

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
My own grandmother isn’t much different from Graham. She wasn't concerned that I was on the streets rioting. She knew that I was there as a journalist covering the situation, and she supports the calls for justice in the face of police brutality. Nana prefers peaceful protests over rioting, like Graham -- and they both understand the anger and frustration of a community that turns to rioting because they feel like there’s no other way their voices will be heard.
LOL

they are rioting because they know they can get away with it.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

Can I jump the shark, pretty please?

Adolf Hitler was spanked quite often as a child:
"Adolf challenged my father to extreme harshness and got his sound thrashing every day. He was a scrubby little rogue, and all attempts of his father to thrash him for his rudeness and to cause him to love the profession of an official of the state were in vain. How often on the other hand did my mother caress him and try to obtain with her kindness where the father could not succeed with harshness ..."

You see what I mean? Spanking can lead a person to become a psychotic genocidal murderer. Adolf proves it. Correlation=Causation.

Seriously though, my kids are just fine and I never needed to physically assault them to keep them in line. There are far better techniques than dumb brute force.

Give me both barrels Bober. I sincerely miss your beatdowns.....

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

OP fail? I didn't write the article, nor did I provide my assessment of it.
I just posted here for discussion

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I actually feel some sympathy for that kid now. His mom is a hateful bitch.

I feel sorry for the kid because he's NEVER going to live down being dragged off the street by his friends... 40 years from now they will be busting his balls over this and pulling up his video on Youtube (or whatever it is in 2055)

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I feel sorry for the kid because he's NEVER going to live down being dragged off the street by his friends... 40 years from now they will be busting his balls over this and pulling up his video on Youtube (or whatever it is in 2055)

No shit. I can't imagine the hazing his getting from his buds right now.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Can I jump the shark, pretty please?

Adolf Hitler was spanked quite often as a child:

You see what I mean? Spanking can lead a person to become a psychotic genocidal murderer. Adolf proves it. Correlation=Causation.

Seriously though, my kids are just fine and I never needed to physically assault them to keep them in line. There are far better techniques than dumb brute force.

Give me both barrels Bober. I sincerely miss your beatdowns.....

those that go to "dumb brute force" are hurting more then helping. I do believe a spanking IF used sparingly is great.

I have spanked my children less then maybe 5 times. The reasons were for times they did something major and it was right after. Such as when my one ran off in a parking lot. I did try talking to them but that does not always work. A swift hit in the ass got their attention and since i haven't done it before they knew what they did was really wrong. YOu don't even need to do it hard. Heck i am sure i have hit them harder when we are playing rough.

Those that do it in anger, or for every punishment are using it wrong.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

No joke, any time he gets something on one of his buds this will be brought up as the come back/smack down (all pun intended).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

yeah it's going to suck. I do slightly feel bad for him on that.

Though hopefully he understand the lengths his mom is willing to go to keep him line.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Are you saying your kids are a good representative sample of all the kids in the world? If your parenting style worked and the kids are raised to be good responsible adults, good on you, congrats on a job well done. That doesn't mean your way is the only way or that it is superior.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I am confused. Did this mother beat a small child with a switch to the point of lacerations on his testicles? Because, that is what AP did. White people were appalled at what AP did because of the nature of the violence and damage sustained by the child, not because he was disciplining his kid with a switch.

Dumbest article I've read in awhile.