Interesting sign in front of church I drive by... *update #2*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: So
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dean
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: So
hehe

Here comes all the anti religion tirades. I'm not a religious man, but I will fully admit that the theory of Evolution has as many holes as Faith does.

Everyone offering expert opinions, none offering facts. Both offering their best guess.

Missing Links everywhere!!

</end quote></div>

Wow. Ignorance ++</end quote></div>

No. Ignorance is having a narrow frame of mind. Channeling "what ifs" in one direction only, without opening up your mind to other possibilities, is ignorance.

We could be descendants of aliens for I know. I don't really care to know either.</end quote></div>

"the lack of knowledge or education
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn"

Ignorance is lack of knowledge of a subject. I'm ignorant of many things. You seem to be ignorant of the overwhelming proof of evolution. As I said, you're entitled to your opinion WRT faith, but scientific fact is not an opinion to take or leave.

If you wish to believe that we come from aliens or whatever, that's fine -- abiogenesis is not the same as evolution and is a whole different kettle of fish, one that I am (at least partly) ignorant of.

"You seem to be ignorant of the overwhelming proof of evolution." That blanket statement just proves my point. You are putting all your stock in scientific belief. I do not see absolute proof in it myself. We all are entitled to our own beliefs though.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Dean
hehe

Here comes all the anti religion tirades. I'm not a religious man, but I will fully admit that the theory of Evolution has as many holes as Faith does.

Everyone offering expert opinions, none offering facts. Both offering their best guess.

Missing Links everywhere!!

</end quote></div>

Wow. Ignorance ++</end quote></div>

No. Ignorance is having a narrow frame of mind. Channeling "what ifs" in one direction only, without opening up your mind to other possibilities, is ignorance.

We could be descendants of aliens for I know. I don't really care to know either.</end quote></div>

"the lack of knowledge or education
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn"

Ignorance is lack of knowledge of a subject. I'm ignorant of many things. You seem to be ignorant of the overwhelming proof of evolution. As I said, you're entitled to your opinion WRT faith, but scientific fact is not an opinion to take or leave.

If you wish to believe that we come from aliens or whatever, that's fine -- abiogenesis is not the same as evolution and is a whole different kettle of fish, one that I am (at least partly) ignorant of.</end quote></div>

"You seem to be ignorant of the overwhelming proof of evolution." That blanket statement just proves my point. You are putting all your stock in scientific belief. I do not see absolute proof in it myself. We all are entitled to our own beliefs though.

Okay, now I'm lost. You don't accept science? How are you even on the internet...

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

"Okay, now I'm lost. You don't accept science? How are you even on the internet... "

I never claimed to not accept science. But I will never accept "everything" the scientific community throws in my direction as absolute. This is why I try to keep an open mind regarding the information fed to us.

Call me a skeptic I guess, but I prefer to think for myself. Just because someone else says something, does not make it true.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I interpreted it as this:

Don't think about things, act on them.

Does that interpretation make sense to anyone else? Seems a bit more positive. :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

"Okay, now I'm lost. You don't accept science? How are you even on the internet... "

I never claimed to not accept science. But I will never accept "everything" the scientific community throws in my direction as absolute. This is why I try to keep an open mind regarding the information fed to us.

Call me a skeptic I guess, but I prefer to think for myself. Just because someone else says something, does not make it true.

sigh, this thread was fine until you stuck your snotty nose into it.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnCU
They still haven't changed the sign, and I thought I'd stir up some crazy fanatics down here in the low country (imagine what they'd do if I put up a sign in my yard that said "Think for yourself"), so I sent in a letter to the editor for the major news paper in this area:

Not-so Witty Sign

To Grace Christian Fellowship: I usually enjoy the comments on your sign ("Two finishes for a vehicle: lacquer or liquor" being my favorite), but your latest one: ?SOME ?FOOD-FOR-THOUGHT? IS JUST A BUNCH OF BALONEY!? bothers me. Practical use of electricity, a machine that can perform millions of calculations per second, phones without wires: all these and more were once ?food-for-thought.? Your blanket statement promotes a passive lifestyle that isn?t acceptable. Our goal in life is to evolve and reach higher planes of intelligence and reasoning, not the other way around.

they called to confirm it, and should be posting it within 30 days. i'll post any responses i get. :D

Woot, today Letters to the Editor....tomorrow an "Expert" on Cable News!!!

:D

Good response, though, like Dean, it will undoubtedly get mired around the "evolve" word.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Once I saw a Church that had a sign saying, "Jesus lives, as for Darwin..." and that bugged me. I generally don't care what others say, but this bugged me. If someone put up a sign against religion, they'd probably get sued, but not a church saying something against non-believers.

Please, that is BS and you know it. And I'm a non-believer.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

The Flying Spaghetti Monster will always accept you! His noodly appendages will teach you everything you need to know!

MillionaireNextDoor

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2000
They shouldn't leave themselves wide open to being misunderstood especially by a one-liner like that.

If God is true, then the Bible is true, then everything in nature should agree with it, so it shouldn't have to fear proper thinking.

It is these kinds of displays that bolster the FALSE stereotype that all organized religion is anti-thinking and anti-science.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: JohnCU
update 2 - 7/9/07

they printed it in yesterday's (sunday's) paper - nice choice of days. i'll scan it when i get home. i was hoping they'd put something up on their sign in response this morning, but now it says something like "a family altar can alter a lot of things." maybe they're thinking of a good reply. :D

You seriously expected the church to do battle with you via their sign? You care about this so much more than they do.