Interesting sign in front of church I drive by... *update #2*

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
There is a church that I drive by everyday my way to work. They have a sign out front and put up different messages each week. One was "TWO FINISHES FOR A VEHICLE: LACQUER OR LIQUOR" and "THIS CHURCH IS 'PRAYER-CONDITIONED'"... but now it says "'FOOD FOR THOUGHT' IS JUST A BUNCH OF BALONEY!"

:confused: are they saying don't question?

update - 7/3/07

They still haven't changed the sign, and I thought I'd stir up some crazy fanatics down here in the low country (imagine what they'd do if I put up a sign in my yard that said "Think for yourself"), so I sent in a letter to the editor for the major news paper in this area:

Not-so Witty Sign

To Grace Christian Fellowship: I usually enjoy the comments on your sign ("Two finishes for a vehicle: lacquer or liquor" being my favorite), but your latest one: ?SOME ?FOOD-FOR-THOUGHT? IS JUST A BUNCH OF BALONEY!? bothers me. Practical use of electricity, a machine that can perform millions of calculations per second, phones without wires: all these and more were once ?food-for-thought.? Your blanket statement promotes a passive lifestyle that isn?t acceptable. Our goal in life is to evolve and reach higher planes of intelligence and reasoning, not the other way around.

they called to confirm it, and should be posting it within 30 days. i'll post any responses i get. :D

update 2 - 7/9/07

they printed it in yesterday's (sunday's) paper - nice choice of days. i'll scan it when i get home. i was hoping they'd put something up on their sign in response this morning, but now it says something like "a family altar can alter a lot of things." maybe they're thinking of a good reply. :D

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Idontcare
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JohnCU

:confused: are they saying don't question?</end quote></div>

Isn't that the premise of modern-day organized religions in general?

I guess so, it just seems kind of... bad to say "don't think about anything, just accept it!"

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JohnCU
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Idontcare
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JohnCU

:confused: are they saying don't question?</end quote></div>

</end quote></div>

I guess so, it just seems kind of... bad to say "don't think about anything, just accept it!"

Of course it does, to you, because you are engaging your neurons together in a process called intelligent reasoning and inquisitive thought...straight to hell you are going now!

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Idontcare
No. I'm an Orthodox Jew, and in my experience Judaism has always encouraged questions.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Maybe they're just trying to question current wisdom?

Can't imagine a church advocating not thinking. It's always the opposite in my experience.

Oct 4, 2004
I'm pretty sure every major religion in the world is based on, "Ask questions and you shall find the answers in <the holy scripture>."

Maybe it means 'find the answers in the Bible' and not 'from the mouths of pagans and disbelievers' or something like that.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: loup garou
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Isn't it spelled "Bologna"?</end quote></div>
No, it's spelled O-S-C-A-R.

dumbass.

:p

hahaha

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: rise
"TWO FINISHES FOR A VEHICLE: LACQUER OR LIQUOR"

whats that mean?

Think of a way that liquor could be the end of a vehicle. When you wrap your car around a tree it is technically "finished".

Edit: for clarity and to fix the damn quotes.

Sahakiel

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2001
Most people with a decent education dislike blind faith. Therefore, let's pose a question: Why is blind faith worse than logical reasoning?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Sahakiel
Most people with a decent education dislike blind faith. Therefore, let's pose a question: Why is blind faith worse than logical reasoning?

If by blind faith, you mean belief in God, or even membership in an organized religion, then it's a pretty silly statement you made. There are very many highly educated religious people.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: ThePresence

Originally posted by: Sahakiel
Most people with a decent education dislike blind faith. Therefore, let's pose a question: Why is blind faith worse than logical reasoning
If by blind faith, you mean belief in God, or even membership in an organized religion, then it's a pretty silly statement you made. There are very many highly educated religious people.

I would have no qualms with membership in an organized religion, but I have seen no convincing logical reasoning for the belief in God. It seems unavoidable that faith, in a religious sense, is blind.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sahakiel
Most people with a decent education dislike blind faith. Therefore, let's pose a question: Why is blind faith worse than logical reasoning?</end quote></div>

Don't play games. You know exactly what he means.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ThePresence
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Sahakiel
Most people with a decent education dislike blind faith. Therefore, let's pose a question: Why is blind faith worse than logical reasoning?</end quote></div>

If by blind faith, you mean belief in God, or even membership in an organized religion, then it's a pretty silly statement you made. There are very many highly educated religious people.</end quote></div>

Don't play games. You know exactly what he means.

Ummm, no, I don't. It seems to me to be a silly statement. There are many highly educated people who have what many would call "blind faith".