Interesting. Rove and Ashcroft Subpoenaed. Do YOU love America?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Bursey has said he was arrested because he was carrying a sign that read "No War for Oil" and contends others with pro-Bush placards were allowed to stay in the area.

interesting case on Using Law enforcement to Limit Free Speech.

He wasnt in a "Free Speech" zone. ( I thought the entire nation is?)

Protester arrested

Article about Bush Acting like John Adams using the Sedition Act.

Make those protesters disappear

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
The letter signed by 11 members of the House, including Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., and Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, states, in part: "As we read the First Amendment to the Constitution, the United States is a 'free speech zone.' In the United States, free speech is the rule, not the exception, and citizens' rights to express it do not depend on their doing it in a way that the President finds politically amenable. ... We ask that you make it clear that we have no interest as a government in 'zoning' Constitutional freedoms, and that being politically annoying to the President of the United States is not a criminal offense. This prosecution smacks of the use of the Sedition Acts two hundred years ago to protect the President from political discomfort. It was wrong then and it is wrong now."

true That.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
I would love to hear a bush apologist explain this one.

You neo-cons can't argue that Bush has nothing to do with this either. The big man said it himself: "There ought to be limits to freedom".

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
As much as he preeches the greatness of freedom, liberty, democracy, and free speech....................his actions sure say otherwise.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Crimson
Originally posted by: Ferocious
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: ITJunkie
Man if that doesn't raise a stink over at the ACLU nothing will.

What are you talking about? The ACLU is already on it. :)

I bet that makes all the neo-cons piping mad! :D

I am mad! I am a Neo-con and I think this is absolutely insane!

Bush should have had him SHOT, not just arrested! :D

Sig Hail Crimson.

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Without looking at the case, I'd have to say he was arrested for bing a pain in the ass to the police officers when asked to move.

Security perimeters are set up for a reason. Those of opposing views are seperated to avoid fist fights. Theres only so much space.

Last time I checked the law said you had the right to free speech, not free speech on the President lap.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: privatebreyer
Without looking at the case, I'd have to say he was arrested for bing a pain in the ass to the police officers when asked to move.
Yes, thats a possibility.

Security perimeters are set up for a reason. Those of opposing views are seperated to avoid fist fights. Theres only so much space.
Soo, to avoid fist fights, the people supporting Bush get to stand yards away from the president while those who don't support him need to be half a mile away from plain-view of the president AND the media? Excuse me??

Last time I checked the law said you had the right to free speech, not free speech on the President lap.
So it would only be fair if Bush supporters had an isolated free-speech zone of their own, right?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: privatebreyer

More apologetic BS.

The Record of President Bush involving protests to his policies and actions show a record void of tollerance of opposing views.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Wow - where is the outrage about JFK, and most of the presidents since him? Anyone remember that little liquor store story? How about the attempts to stop a protest....Hmmm.

We've been over this discussion before - it's all bark and no bite. Was anyone prohibited from voicing their views? No. You people would be whining if people crashed your "anti" protests - so you have no leg to stand on.
The guy should have stayed in the designated area - he did not - his fault - nobody elses.

CkG

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Bush tolerates opposing views as long as neither he nor anyone else gets to hear them.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Wow - where is the outrage about JFK, and most of the presidents since him? Anyone remember that little liquor store story? How about the attempts to stop a protest....Hmmm.

We've been over this discussion before - it's all bark and no bite. Was anyone prohibited from voicing their views? No. You people would be whining if people crashed your "anti" protests - so you have no leg to stand on.
The guy should have stayed in the designated area - he did not - his fault - nobody elses.

CkG

great HAnnitised Glenn Beckish Reply their Cad. go turn on your radio and turn off your Brain.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: smashp
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG

great HAnnitised Glenn Beckish Reply their Cad. go turn on your radio and turn off your Brain.

Huh? Don't listen to either of them. Nice try though:)

I see you didn't offer to refute the FACT that these people's voice was able to be heard and they were not "silenced". They only think they were because they whine about what place they had to whine from.

CkG

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Crimson

I am mad! I am a Neo-con and I think this is absolutely insane!

Bush should have had him SHOT, not just arrested! :D

If you are a NeoCon of course you are mad:D

Most of the rest of us would be angry:)

(Look it up!) [/i]

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
It doesn't matter what previous presidents did or didn't do - this topic is about Bush. In fact, if you read what the ACLU has to say about it, this sort of presidential clamp-down on dissenting protests has INCREASED significantly under Bush:

The ACLU said it had seen a significant spike in such incidents under the Bush Administration, prompting it to charge officials with a ?pattern and practice? of discrimination against those who disagree with government policies.

According to ACLU legal papers, local police, acting at the direction of the Secret Service, violated the rights of protesters in two ways: people expressing views critical of the government were moved further away from public officials while those with pro-government views were allowed to remain closer; or everyone expressing a view was herded into what is commonly known as a ?protest zone,? leaving those who merely observe, but express no view, to remain closer.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
COLUMBIA, S.C. - A man charged with entering a restricted area during an October 2002 presidential visit has subpoenaed U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) and Bush political adviser Karl Rove to testify at his trial next week.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Anyone remember the WTO incident and the 200 or so arrests? Hmmm, who was the president then? Or how about the 10 protestors that were arrested on the Gore campaign trail for protesting about Gore's connections with big oil because of Occidental petroleum? This seems like another prime example of "Bush blindness".......people motivated by their sheer hatred of Bush.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Tabb
COLUMBIA, S.C. - A man charged with entering a restricted area during an October 2002 presidential visit has subpoenaed U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) and Bush political adviser Karl Rove to testify at his trial next week.
And according to the rest of the article, that 'restricted area' was the omg-i-love-you-and-have-come-to-inflate-your-ego zone

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Jmman
Anyone remember the WTO incident and the 200 or so arrests? Hmmm, who was the president then? Or how about the 10 protestors that were arrested on the Gore campaign trail for protesting about Gore's connections with big oil because of Occidental petroleum? This seems like another prime example of "Bush blindness".......people motivated by their sheer hatred of Bush.
That was the security mistake of not being sure that the area (and the people within) were safe. If I had carried a "I love bush" sign in one hand and a weapon in the other, would I have a better chance of approaching the president?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Jmman

Ahhh, the old two-wrongs make a right argument. Nice. Yeah, you're right, let's never try to anything about issues like this that infringe on people's rights. Let's just let the government slowly but surely chisel away until we have nothing left... Great plan...