INteresting results on throttling...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Now first remember i have only tested this on the quad core Kentsfield. Stevty had comments like this back inthe days of P-D smithfields....

All cores loaded for at least an hour...all temps are core temp reported...all vcores are set in bios and actual load vcore droops .08-.09v...C2D chips on same mobo only saw .03v max droop. All rails are tight on PSU.

Average temps are 48-50c at idle and 63-66c under load....

Using rightmark utility and fan control I was able to reduce fan speed to a crawl and get temps to hit 78c and NO throttling occurs....

Average temps are 51-53c at idle and 66-69c under load...

Again using Rightmark and reducing fan speed I raise the temps...At around 75c I begin to see throttling in cores 0 and 3...It does this by reducing the multiplier to half...It does this very regularly in a pattern and like clockwork...Temp hits 75ish and it throttles for about 10 seconds until it drops to 70c and then goes back to full juice...throttling does not happen on all 4 cores...just 2 cores equally...The wouldn't effect times in test if you use affinity. I did not at first so it drug all times down equally...

Average temps are 52-55c at idle and 68-71c under load

At this speed I barely had to reduce fan speed as throttling appears to happen right around 71c....similar pattern as above though throttle periods are longer and more frequent...

I raised fan speed back up and it still would occur buty not as often as the temp just spiked to 71c occasionally...Threw open the window and let some 45f air come in and temps shot down to low 60's and it ran for 4-5 hours with no throttling...

So stevty was right...the higher the vcore the lower the point at which throttling occurs...this must have been TM1 throttling cauise I can only disable TM2 in the bios

This QX6700 is a B0 steppng 4 chips so the newer chips may definitely run cooler. It appears in my case I need a better cooler then my Ninja Scythe if I really want to go much past 3.2ghz...

It boots at 3.46ghz fine into windows and can even post at 3.5ghz into bios...Too much vcore and throttling will occur so frequently is actually runs slower then when I leave it at 3.2ghz. The throttling at 3.3 and 3.35ghz makes drop 15-30% in performance.

May try water...may not...may just be happy with 4 cores of 3.2ghz....in my testing 3.3ghz will not run at 1.4v so I am forced to raise vcore after 3.25ghz.

*****I need to try this on some of the C2D chips...many of us are giving them 1.45v-1.475v****

Interesting to see where throttling occurs....

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Yeah, that's interesting. Keep us posted on the C2D results. Those have me most curious.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Interesting... My C2D @3.43 had vcore @1.45 bios, cpuz says 1.408, core says 1.325 vid, temps=70c,67c, no throttling...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
vcore in core temp is what it is reading as the default vid.....

I didn't think the C2D is or was going to throttling at same temp....I started having issues when an E6300 started getting in the 70's in core temp but nothing related to throttling

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Duvie
It appears in my case I need a better cooler then my Ninja Scythe if I really want to go much past 3.2ghz...
Why not just buy a fan for your Scythe Ninja, Duvie? I've got one of these on mine: 110 CFM Silverstone, not that you have to run it at 110 CFM. It comes with it's own rheostat, so you can run it at any speed you want.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I thought the case temp of the QX6700 was much higher and throttling would not start until much higher temps than that.

Could this be something triggered by your motherboard itself? I'm running an Asus P5WDG2 WS Professional with 506 BIOS.

I'm seeing temps near 80C under high loads with 1.46V at 4GHz. No throttling at all (Orthos) BUT Rightmark does show some downward spikes when the chip is unloaded just doing certain things. Speed is fast - that photoshop test comes in under 10 seconds and encoding is super fast. A 700MB/S RAID array can load all four to 100% and throughput is more than double what the E6600 was doing but that was also running at only 3.6GHz. :Q

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
It could be the mobo, but the fact it only lets you turn off TM2 and not TM1 you cannot fully disable throttling in the Gigabyte bios...

Gannon

Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Duvie
It could be the mobo, but the fact it only lets you turn off TM2 and not TM1 you cannot fully disable throttling in the Gigabyte bios...

If you're going to go the water cooling route go all out. I'm watercooling my E6600 and I can run it at 3.7Ghz stable, the only thing holding me back is the ram for higher then that and a better watercooling setup. MY voltage is almost 1.6v though. But rock solid and NO throttling under load, using orthos prime and Intel thermal analysis tool in combination with coretemp.

My thread over @ pure overclock -- http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=664