Interesting project...ethernet to phoneline network

Hender

Aug 10, 2000
I'm thinking about undertaking an interesting project when I go home for Christmas, and I wanted some input to see if I have this right.

At my Mom's house, she has a cable modem connection hooked up to a router/firewall, and then a hub so that multiple users can share the connection. I have to be close to the hub so that I can share the Internet connection on my laptop, and I don't want to lay cable throughout the house or get a really long cable to snake into another room, so I started thinking that there may be another way. I've been eyeing the phoneline networking kits than many companies sell, and that seemed like a perfect solution. I can then work on my laptop in any room of the house that has a phone jack in it and still be connected to the Internet. The speed hit I would take doesn't matter because I could never fully saturate that kind of bandwidth only, how do I connect it to the ethernet network? Linksys and D-Link both sell phoneline to ethernet bridges, but they're expensive, and I have no money. I do, however, have an old Pentium 233 sitting around that already has a 10/100 NIC in it, so I was thinking I could just pick up a phoneline NIC for it, connect the 10/00 to the hub, the phoneline NIC to the wall jack, and then I would have my bridge. Would I just need to mess with the gateway addresses for the NICs to set them for the rest of the network and then enable IP forwarding (I'm going to throw NT 4.0 on it...no patience to work with Linux and it's balked on this machine before)? Or am I missing a step in there somewhere?

Now what would REALLY be neat is when the powerline networking cards come out, I could throw one of those babies in there as well. Who needs 10BaseT when ya got full phoneline and powerline connectivity? :)