Interesting, Peres suggest putting Jerusalem under the UN, wants it as the World Capital

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/320875.html

Peres suggests holy sites in J'lem be declared 'world capital'

By Reuters

JERUSALEM - Shimon Peres, the head of Israel's
opposition Labor Party, has suggested resolving
Israeli-Palestinian conflict over Jerusalem by
putting its holy sites under UN stewardship, a
spokesman said on Tuesday.

His plan calls for declaring a
holy area of sites sacred to
Jews, Christians and Muslims in
Jerusalem's old walled city as
a "world capital", with the UN
Secretary-General serving as
mayor, Peres' spokesman Yoram
Dori said.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi,

Sounds like an idea that would be worthy of further debate/exploration. I'm not sure about the "world capital" title, but stewardship by an international organisation that represents Christian/Jewish/Islamic/etc cultures can't be a bad thing to propose.

Cheers,

Andy

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
This is not the first time that this idea has been proposed. It's probably the only equitable solution to the question of Jerusalem.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Fencer128
Hi,

Sounds like an idea that would be worthy of further debate/exploration. I'm not sure about the "world capital" title, but stewardship by an international organisation that represents Christian/Jewish/Islamic/etc cultures can't be a bad thing to propose.

Cheers,

Andy

ditto

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Hi,

Cheers,

Andy

ditto

ditto ditto

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Hi,

Cheers,

Andy

ditto
Same here. Perhaps the UN headquarters could relocate there.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Hi,

Cheers,

Andy

ditto

Ditto!

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
This was the original sollution I think the Brittish pruposed when the creation of palestine and israel was going to happen, it never went through though

http://www.israel-state-terrorism.org/UNpartitionmap.html
the map

(btw, found the map through google)

It was part of the original UN resolution that the PLO and Arab states refused to recognize and the British didn't impliment before abandoning the area in the middle of the night.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Boy, what a great idea! lets make a worlds capital and place it in one of the most contested areas on earth! So when israel says they own it, and the palestinians and their backers say they own it, we can start a new world war! Great friggin idea.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,

Cheers,

Andy

ditto

I dunno. The term "World Capital" gave me the creeps(Book of Revelaions). Now to declare it as such and move the UN there simultaneously will likely give me a heart attack! :D

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Hi,

Cheers,

Andy

ditto

I dunno. The term "World Capital" gave me the creeps(Book of Revelaions). Now to declare it as such and move the UN there simultaneously will likely give me a heart attack! :D

The world capital suggestion would not fly, but the idea of shared responsibility appeals. If everyone has a stake in it, people might be a little less hasty in blowing things up. My suggestion for moving the UN is based on the unpopularity of the organization by many here in the US. Frankly, for reasons I have posted in other threads, believe that membership by the US is very important, but the UN headquarters could be anywhere. In a way, the idea appeals to me, because the UN would have more incentive to promote peace. The security of the facility would depend on it.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

The world capital suggestion would not fly, but the idea of shared responsibility appeals. If everyone has a stake in it, people might be a little less hasty in blowing things up. My suggestion for moving the UN is based on the unpopularity of the organization by many here in the US. Frankly, for reasons I have posted in other threads, believe that membership by the US is very important, but the UN headquarters could be anywhere. In a way, the idea appeals to me, because the UN would have more incentive to promote peace. The security of the facility would depend on it.
LOL, I like your idea also. Putting the UN in one of the hottest spots on the globe seems kind of appropriate for their mission.