Interesting observation selling

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
I put up nice things (furniture, computer acc. TV and etc)for 1/2 price for sale, no inquiry. I put a case of toilet paper for 1/2 price and I have 200 interest in 2 hours. Damn toilet paper is the new gold. I can't believe it.

BTW I sold it already

lytalbayre2

Nov 3, 2009
Dude, I barely get inquires when I put nice stuff up for free.

I put a $1K motorized TV stand up for free. Just told people they would have to haul it off and no real interest. Ended up cutting it up and taking it to the dump.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
It’s marked sold and people still messaging me. I’ve never seen anything like it.

If you are wondering why I am getting rid of this because I won a case of toilet paper and also had a death in the family that stock up on toilet paper. I already have my own.

You would think people would just buy this at a grocery store or target

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Delete the ad?

If people will price-match on TP to save a dollar, of course they'll go into a frenzy for half-price TP.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I guess there's no question of the TP's condition - unlike furniture or electronics. If it's wrapped and rolled it's ready to use.

Hmm. Guess it could be flood-damaged or something.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Instead of marking the TP as "sold" in the ad, (since this is one ad of multiple items?), just update the listing to "TP, slightly used, 1/2 price."

Interest should die down. ...if not, you should probably move.

Reactions: rh71

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seems odd buying something like TP from a random person vs the store. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, having to go find the person's address and back and forth messages etc when you can just go to the store and pick it up.

Reactions: Mike64 and Ken g6

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I guess there's no question of the TP's condition - unlike furniture or electronics. If it's wrapped and rolled it's ready to use.

This. If someone puts up an ad for something that people know is new and they're familiar with the price, they're all over it. Save big on TP? Hell yeah. A case of motor oil? SOLD. A used orange sofa or a Pentium IV computer? Pass.

Not to mention... pretty much everyone uses TP. Not nearly as many people are looking for furniture or electronics. Your buying audience is many times the size.

Reactions: Mike64

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Is this New or Used TP? I only buy new TP, what is the brand? Is it sold yet? Can we negotiate on the price?

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
Seems odd buying something like TP from a random person vs the store. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, having to go find the person's address and back and forth messages etc when you can just go to the store and pick it up.
I am surprised to. I didn’t expect the amount of interest I received. What also surprised me people willing to drive 25 miles in the evening to buy it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I am surprised to. I didn’t expect the amount of interest I received. What also surprised me people willing to drive 25 miles in the evening to buy it.
People are idiots. There's a local gas station that sold fuel cheap(at cost?) for a day or two during the jul season. People would line up around the block with their cars idling to get "cheap" gas. I guess their time's worthless, and their cars run on a reserve of unicorn farts. People focus on the sticker price, and not what it takes to get there.

Mar 11, 2004
OP, the thing is to price your worthwhile stuff high, like 3/4 price, or I shit you not the full retail price. I'm not kidding. If you price it low, they assume its a scam, stolen, or has some issue you haven't told them about (like maybe it was cursed) and will stay the fuck away. And since everybody else seems to price their stuff at near new price ("you're saving tax" or "I paid $XXXX 10 years ago") and assumes you'll get offers or something.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I put up nice things (furniture, computer acc. TV and etc)for 1/2 price for sale, no inquiry. I put a case of toilet paper for 1/2 price and I have 200 interest in 2 hours. Damn toilet paper is the new gold. I can't believe it.
The massive interest in the TP is bizarre (after all, the stuff goes on sale for about half price nearly every week either at my local supermarket or one of the chain drugstores anyway)...

But as far as the "nice stuff" goes, what sort of "nice stuff", more specifically, are we talking about? Stuff that was expensive and "nice" 15-20 years ago but that nobody uses any more? E.g., am I right in assuming the TV stand was a holdover from big-screen CRT TV days? Even for free, and even assuming it's still (really) in "good shape", I can't imagine wanting such a thing myself, unless I had some very niche (non-TV) use in mind, like being able to turn a medium-sized fish tank around while it's full:D, or maybe if I had a garage or big basement to store randomly useful "junk", I'd take it just to cannibalize what I assume must be the high-torque, low RPM motor. (Which I have to admit, I'd probably just end up recycling 5 years later, but it's the kind of thing I like the idea of having handy since they're not easy to find locally these days and usually expensive to buy, even from used to be called "junk shops"...)

Last edited: