Interesting new ad campaign to discourage teen pregnancy

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Here is the article at MSNBC.com: Teen sex ads

One interesting aspect of the article is the following quote:

<< But not everyone has been receptive. ?The message is pretty negative,? said Michael McGee, vice president for education at Planned Parenthood Federation of America. ?I know the intent is to portray pregnancy as the problem, but what you walk away with is the red line and the pictures. The kids are all losers.? He has no plans to send them to Planned Parenthood clinics. >>

You know, it strikes me as strange that an ad campaign to inform teenagers about the perils of pregnancy would be rejected by Planned Parenthood. Do they want more &quot;clients&quot; for their abortion clinic partners? That stuck out.

I'd be interested to hear reactions from people who have seen them, other than the one on the page above.

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
To be blunt, they should be teaching girls to give oral sex, because:

1. No chance of getting pregnant, and
B. That's all most guys really want!

Yo baby yo baby yo!

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
i think the PP's stance is that it makes the problem look like something totally horrible and wrong. the ads by trowing words around like cheap, reject or dirty, certainly put a really bad label on a girl that does get pregnant by accident. so i can see both sides of the story.

dam()

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Dirk, you are a complete moron, but i like your idea.

dam(dirk for prez)

wolf550e

Golden Member
May 22, 2000
Dirk: i do nor agree with you.

i will be 16 on suday, and still a vergin (no G/F so it wont change soon) so it might be i dont know smth, but idont agree with you about this. i dont mind oral but i am a more conservative type of a guy...

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Reminds me of the teacher's union being against vouchers. These are organizations that are supposed to help people, but in the end it looks like all they care about is their own well being.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000

AndrewR-
Maybe this is off topic to your post but this is the way I see the conflict that you stated.

OK,

This is like the practice of sewing baby girls closed and having the husbands cut the threads or bundling or chastity belts.

Does anyone know what a &quot;Technical Virgin&quot; is?
How about the Japaneese operation to restore the Hymen?

My point? Ads on TV will not replace the in home training that is lacking. No teen thinks that they are ever going to die or get pregnant if they dont want to.

Planned Parenthood only helps afterward. Im NOT putting them down.