Interesting milestone for me today

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Once upon a time I was young and stupid (I am no longer young, lol), and had good credit without matching good income. Over the years, due to both expensive hobbies and poor choice in girlfriends, I lived outside my means and managed to rack up about $35,000 in credit card debt. Yikes... It is most definitely not a comfortable feeling having that hanging over your head.

As of today, right now, I have successfully paid this off, and the only debt I currently have is my car.

It is a VERY good feeling to finally be able to look toward the future and think about things like investments and buying a house and whatnot.

:)

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Once upon a time I was young and stupid (I am no longer young, lol), and had good credit without matching good income. Over the years, due to both expensive hobbies and poor choice in girlfriends, I lived outside my means and managed to rack up about $35,000 in credit card debt. Yikes... It is most definitely not a comfortable feeling having that hanging over your head.

As of today, right now, I have successfully paid this off, and the only debt I currently have is my car.

It is a VERY good feeling to finally be able to look toward the future and think about things like investments and buying a house and whatnot.

Wow, congratulations. That is an enormous setback of a debt for an average person, and I'm sure you value your money more now ;) All I have to say is, cheers, because you must feel so much better, I know I sure as hell would.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
GJ, that's a sizable hole to have pulled yourself out of. What's the typical APR on CC balances - 20%? That's $7k/year in interest alone.

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

This is good, congratulations. You could celebrate (within your means :D )

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: flyfish
I love hearing about people taking responsibility and control!

:thumbsup:

Thanks! Responsibility and control has been huge for me over the past few years. I've had some lucky breaks and some unlucky ones, but in the main have continued to hang in there. I've bought some reasonably expensive things (i.e. headers + Corsa exhaust for my car), but these were things that I could afford without taking a hit in my payment budget.

In general, I've been paying about $1500 to $2000 per month toward the credit cards. This is money that can now go into savings, and eventually into investments.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz
GJ, that's a sizable hole to have pulled yourself out of. What's the typical APR on CC balances - 20%? That's $7k/year in interest alone.

Naw. I have sizeable debt too, but never pay more thany 7%, usually 0% on transfers (every card i have now). I wish i could be more like Astaroth. Congrats.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
:wine:

Congrats. I bet you feel so light and free. You should celebrate. It's not easy to do what you did.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Gah, i'm gonna be in this boat soon after i rake up 20,000$ in college loans. Its kinda amazing to me that by the end of next year I'm supposed to start "real life" with 20,000$ in debt, and no assets except this laptop, a bunch of clothes, and a college diploma.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Way to go! Credit card companies hate your kind. That's awesome.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Gah, i'm gonna be in this boat soon after i rake up 20,000$ in college loans. Its kinda amazing to me that by the end of next year I'm supposed to start "real life" with 20,000$ in debt, and no assets except this laptop, a bunch of clothes, and a college diploma.

You're in no way like Astaroth. Your loans don't carry anything close to a CC interest rate. Pay the minimum monthly payment until you're established. You'll be fine.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: iRONic

i wouldn't say that. i'm sure he payed a hefty amount in interest over the time he payed this off. on the other hand, some people just declare bankrupcy

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: slayer202

i wouldn't say that. i'm sure he payed a hefty amount in interest over the time he payed this off. on the other hand, some people just declare bankrupcy

I stand by my post. His monthly $1500-2000 payments kept substantial profit out of the CC companies coffers. Bad for them, good for him.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: slayer202

Correct. At one point I had considered, and was going to file for bankruptcy, but I chose not to as a matter of dignity.

And yes, I payed plenty of interest, so the CC companies love me... :/