Interesting article I found on how to get good deals on TVs at Best Buy and Circuit City

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: leftyman
Originally posted by: AMDZen
Originally posted by: leftyman
Originally posted by: AMDZen
One serious point you guys seem to be missing. BB employees, and I can only assume CC employees as well - aren't supposed to do this. They aren't supposed to do "inboarding" which is what this is called. You can't drop the price of a TV, computer, etc. in order to include the warranty. Its explicitly against their policy. Employees, and especially managers do this any way because it make their numbers look 10x better. Accessories and warranties matter a lot more then TVs sold.

What your doing in return is MOST CERTAINLY not against the law, and not even close to bordering on theft or fraud. You guys are drawing some huge lines between them.

Blackmail however, you can call it that. Because basically the store has no choice in the matter since you can get people fired or at the very least written up for inboarding in the first place. This should be a lesson to the BB and CC employees in reality. I would know better as a manager to inboard for the same of a warranty and monster cable sale, and if you don't follow the rules, expect to get burned.

two wrongs do not make a right

The obvious reply of a small mind.

The fact is, if you attempt this you also risk the chance of getting burned. The managers, especially the GM at my store were ruthless. You would never get your items returned in my store, you could raise hell - even throw your TV across the Customer Service counter and they wouldn't budge. This actually happened BTW.

Not to mention, you would never get something returned that you purchased from another store, they would absolutely insist that you go back to where you bought it from.

I've seen managers that can do it so you can't prove in any way they inboarded, and you'll have no recourse. You take a chance if you do this, the same as the BB or CC employee took a chance when they inboarded in the first place. He gambled to make himself look good and perhaps get a promotion/raise, you gambled to get a better deal. Someone always loses and its usually the customer. There is a reason this rule exists in the BB handbook : DO NOT INBOARD. Its there because of this exact scenerio. Some of you others act like the corporations haven't thought of this already, thats why they have the rules for the employees to begin with.

My only point with all this is that its not illegal, and only wrong to some moral viewpoints. All the jerk off's that are screaming THIEF and so forth just drive me crazy. Its none of your concern how others live their life or the choices they make. Its not going to affect you if some people pull this stunt and get away with it, because I can assure you its not a guarentee. For every 5 that try this, 3 will get burned at the store. "Nope, you can't return that warranty you have to call the 800 number" What are you going to do? You can't do anything, the store just burned you when you thought you were burning them. Stores like BB will take extended measures to better ensure their employees aren't imboarding LONG before they charge restocking fees. They will realize its within their own ranks that they're losing money, and won't risk losing customers because of it.

im glad i have a small mind :) whats wrong is wrong, rationalize all you want

Correction AGAIN. Whats wrong to YOU, is wrong. I couldn't care less if you think its wrong, if the law doesn't say its wrong then there is room for moral intrepretation. Not to say that if the law DID say this is wrong, that there isn't still room for intrepretation, just that your opinion would be more rational.

As it stands - your simply being irrational, I'm not rationalizing anything - I haven't done this nor do I need a new TV. Nor would I buy something from BB regardless. I'm only arguing to prove a point, what anyone else does is their business - it doesn't affect you, and its not against the law so they don't need to rationalize it to you.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: dbot
hahah, this may have been true couple years ago.

last time i worked at bestbuy which was about a year and half ago. i laughed at customers like that.

and managers were really being watched carefully for dishonest practices. i would always just laugh at people asking for a "bargain" because with the amount of volume they do, some guy is gonna come in next and buy everything anyway.

See, this is exactly my point. I worked there 5+ years ago so I'm out of the loop. Yet even then I saw inboarding, and I also saw customers try to return warranties who were turned away. Not to say they were related, only that the "call the 800 number" was something all employees were told to tell the customers.